The Corroboree
Dolos

Soulmates until the end

What a beautiful story...

"COME on Col, it's time to go".

The Farquhar family believed there was divine intervention at play when their beloved parents Colin and Mary Farquhar died within 90 minutes of each other last month.

The Holland Park couple had been together for 63 years, survived the ravages of war, buried three of their 10 children and faced every adversity with their soulmate's hand in their own.

Dementia finally claimed Mary at age 84. Just 90 minutes later Colin, 85, gave up his brave fight to live.

Colin was a fearless advocate of ex-servicemen's rights, long battling the ill-effects of radiation exposure after being stationed in Hiroshima during the cleanup after the atomic bomb was dropped.

When the end came the devoted couple were kilometres apart, Mary at home and Col in hospital.

But their children know they both decided it was time to pass on together.

"They were soulmates," daughter Cathy Clark said after caring for them in their final 10 years.

"We found mum on the floor by her bedroom door. She had her little hand outstretched like she was reaching out, looking for Dad.

"I think it was a higher power at work."

Her brother, Allan Farquhar, agreed.

"When they died it was like divine intervention," he said. "It was Mum's way of saying, 'Come on, Col, time to go, time's up'."

The children found comfort in their grief, believing their parents chose to pass on together.

And Colin and Mary's legacy will be the enduring love they shared, not just for each other, but for family, friends and anyone who reached out for help.

The couple was always there to help war widows, war veterans and anyone down on their luck by helping them with their pensions, opening their doors for shelter and food or even just for a chat.

"They would help strangers, they would help anybody. That's just the type of people they were," Allan said.

"If people had nowhere to stay, they would put a roof over their head and feed them.

"Sixty-three years is an awful long time and a lot of people could take some of their attitude towards life."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews/east/soulmates-until-the-end/story-fn8m0sve-1226157861059

• Like 2

:)

beautiful. something always yanks at my heart strings when I see and old couple walking hand in hand, still obviously in love. so sweet and beautiful and pure.

i think the majority of us are to self centred to maintain a love of that intensity and dedication nowadays.

theres this beautiful song by john williamson called 'wrinkles' that defines this kind of love. if u can source the original version (which aint easy ive tried) online, give it a an open-minded listen. it is one song that actually moves me. the version on youtube (the one with john stephan?) fucking sucks. the original is where its at.

ive always been a john williamson fan (losing cred dramatically i know i know) but i think hes an amazing artist, who writes and sings from his heart. and yeah he writes about this kind of old fashioned charm and love stuff lol. i guess it reminds me of the good side of living in the country. and hes a mean banjo and acoustic guitar player indeed.

Edited by incognito
  • Like 1

No lost cred from me, Incog. John Williamson has a few songs with similar themes. One that always gets me is "Purple Roses"

Excellent song writer/lyricist.