The Corroboree
al-Tair.

Recommendations for a Melbournian Pot-Plant Garden

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone might be able to recommend a few plants or cacti that I may be able to grow out doors in Melbourne climate. I live in an apartment with a balcony, so I don't have a garden. It's my first go at anything like this, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

cmarx

That's a pretty broad question cmarx! I think it really depends on what you like - there's lots of cacti and other plants that you might be able to grow.

Anther thing it'll depend on - how much direct sunlight does your balcony get? If its not much, sun-loving plants won't do very well.

I have a small balcony at my apartment too. I'm growing a range of cacti, a couple of golden chalice vines (not sure what I'll do when they get big though) and some parsley for cooking. The parsley hasn't been doing well because it was in a corner, and the thick rails of the balcony have been shading it. However, I've since lifted the pot onto a board that I put in the corner on top of the rails, so it can get more sun. If that doesn't make sense, I could take a picture.

The cacti are also not doing quite as well as they would if they were getting more sun. For example, I have two genetically identical peruvian torch tip cuttings of equal size and age. One is on my balcony, and its doing quite well. However, the other one is at another house getting more sun, and its growing a little bit faster, and (more noticeably), it has larger spines with more of a redish color to them. Despite this though, all my cacti are growing well. They probably get 4 or 5 hours of direct sun, and I just try to remember to rotate them 180 degrees every few weeks so that they don't start growing towards the sun.

:)

Instructables has some pretty good guides for getting the most out of your garden with really limited space, might be worth a read.

Or just sneak a bunch of cacti onto the roof ;)

Should be able to grow Psychotrias, daturas, khat, brugmansias, salvia, Iboga and cacti no worries. Check out the botanical gardens in melbs, got heaps of entheogens there, good place to get an idea of what you can grow. I'm a few hours nth in the bush and can grow most things here, and our winter night temps are colder than in the city. I'd say getting the most bang for your space would be your greatest concern.

what are those planter spaces you stack vertical wise? i saw them on some house building reality show last year. if it was me, i'd get a stack of them and grow herbs (next to the cacti, of course). i long for the day i can just nick outside and grab a sprinkle of cilantro for the daal.

do better in the ground, but sceletium / similar would be one to consider, can sprawl over pot edges or kept hard trimmed (though best to trim tips if on the sprawl as you want to build up a strong stem base, else it goes all lanky shitty and will abscise itself), good soil and keep the water up to it and you can pretty much keep it ever green without it skeletonising fully.

hello cmarx and welcome. just wanted to let you know that you are actually very lucky to even have a balcony; i have to make do with windowsills throughout the flat (much to my housemates' chagrin) so be sure to make the most of what you have! though if you really want to get serious i would look into community garden plots and/or guerilla gardening. i have meaning to get more involved in both but have not had the time. good luck!

oh and i definitely agree with the sceletium, extremely easy to grow. i got some cuttings at a meet and just put them in my pockets for two days, i thought they would be done for, they looked extremely sad. however then i just stuck them in some dirt and away they went! very hardy.

Thank you all for your advice!! This community is amazing. :)

I will seek sceletium and probably some cacti? Is there any specific cacti that would suit my cause?

Oh, I'm west facing, so plenty of afternoon sun!!

I think that everyone should have at least a few T. Pachanoi in their cactus collection. And you're in luck, because I just happen to be selling cuttings of T. Pachanoi at the moment!!!

Haha, nothing wrong with a little shameless self-promotion every now and then!

:P

In all seriousness though, there are so many different varieties of cacti - I usually just grow ones that I like the look of. A few of my favorite columnar cacti are:

T. Pachanoi (of course!)

T. Peruvianus

Myrtyllocactus geometricans (beautifull color and one of the few cacti that will give you that classic form with branches like you see on old western movies)

Pilocereus (for the same reasons as above)

Cool cacti with more rounded forms include:

Lophophora Williamsi

Mammillaria Bombycena (amazing spines, and flowers for a very long time)

Various Astrophytum (there's some really amazing varieties out there - I have an "ornate bishops cap")

Echinocactus Grusonii (the classic "golden barrel" cactus)

Notocactus Magnificus (another very nice barrel cactus with less vicious spines)