The Corroboree
El Presidente Hillbillios

The SAB giant pumpkin growing contest

As a contestent.Giant Sunflowers, 12 feet tall is amazing for small children.

Like a cartoon could see from the buss trip to the school.

http://www.sunflowerguide.com/giant-sunflower.html

California Greystripe

The giant sunflower is one of the most majestic of all flowers, reaching higher than any other flower you can imagine. Growing as tall as 20 feet (8 meters) giant sunflowers make an impressive sight seldom seen in any typical backyard. There are several varieties you may want to try your hand at growing: "Sunzilla", "Mammoth", and "California Greystripe" are popular giant varieties and, with some TLC, have the potential to attain these legendary heights! Giant sunflowers, however, can be difficult to grow - with their sheer size they require significant attention and you need to work harder to protect your giant sunflowers from the whims of nature. But despite the work involved, growing giant sunflowers is a challenge many a gardener gets excited about, either to enter into competitions or just for the sheer thrill of growing a plant as tall as a house! Growing sunflowers can also be a fun way to inspire your kids to get involved with the garden. With growth happening so quickly, changes visible even day to day, it's easy for kids to see progress in their efforts. What is the height of the tallest sunflower? According to the 2004 Guinness Book of World Records, a sunflower grown in the Netherlands holds the record for being the tallest sunflower in the world at 25 feet, 5.4 inches tall.

Found someone on eBay selling sunzillas, located about half a hour away! He's got Pedro cuttings, phalaris seeds and some seeds labelled "Maoi seeds" which is apparently

a succulent?

Anyway, going to get some of those sunflower seeds I think

and some seeds labelled "Maoi seeds" which is apparently a succulent?

Succulent lol. I wonder why the secrecy with this one...? Is it just because they are not treated? Both SAB and Herbalistics have them in stock.

Edited by Alice

Succulent lol. I wonder why the secrecy with this one...? Is it just because they are not treated? Both SAB and Herbalistics have them in stock.

Syrian rue yeah?

Going to get some stuff through him in the next couple days :) get some of the monster sunflowers.

One of the sunflowers I got going ATM is about 40cm :)

my sunzillas and giant pumpkin seed are in the ground. looking forward to watching them grow! good luck everyone!

My sunflower seeds are in, decided against entering the pumpkin contest though, thought it was a bit unfair to the rest of you that I win both :P

of course! cough cough pussy cough cough

• Like 1

Haha, yes I'm a pussy.

The real reason I'm not doing the pumpkin is that I seriously don't know what I'd do with a 300kg+ pumpkin. I know, I know, I just chop it up and give it away, but seriously, 300kg? It's just too much, and you'd really need to get rid of it very soon after the first bit is cut out before it rots. I don't think I know enough people.

But depending on how you all go I might do it next year if it becomes an annual contest.

I think we are going to need a pumpkin recipe forum in 6 months time!

dont worry man, i recon you couldnt grow a 300kg pumpkin anyway LOL 2kg pumpkin is easy to deal with LOL

• Like 2

i sent em

:) I got faith, it takes about a week usually.

Sorry if my last post came off as impatient, completely unintentional.

How is everyone's going?

mine arent up yet. still a little cool i think.

mine are up! well a couple f them. But slugs gave em a bit of hell. i pricked em out and theyre now in bigger pots. Im pretty surprised how much the roots have grown in just a few days..

• Like 1

mine are up! well a couple f them. But slugs gave em a bit of hell. i pricked em out and theyre now in bigger pots. Im pretty surprised how much the roots have grown in just a few days..

Wow that is really quick!

I haven't got anything yet.

Mine arrived today :) gonna soak them tonight then game on!

surely those are the largest fruit in the world?

giant pumpkin, you so crazy

on average the "Jackfruit" is the largest fruit in the world.