The Corroboree
Marklar

sick scop please help!

hey all

a while ago my scop that wasnt doing too well lost an arm in a storm, i cut where it snapped with a sterilised knife and left the arm for a week or so before planting in cactii mix from bunnings, where it snapped off is going black

post-9410-0-54108800-1315279426_thumb.jp

the cactus itself had those markings before because its from seed and was towards base but i dont know whats going on with the blackness, its still firm to touch.

the arm i planted is getting squishy and has some brown spots that werent there before,

post-9410-0-54819900-1315279460_thumb.jp

ive been using seasol and some fertilizer but very diluted.

any hints guys?

post-9410-0-54108800-1315279426_thumb.jpg

post-9410-0-54819900-1315279460_thumb.jpg

post-9410-0-54108800-1315279426_thumb.jpg

post-9410-0-54819900-1315279460_thumb.jpg

Edited by coryWA

It just look dehydrated to me. The black doesnt look like the evil black rot. Try to keep it in the sun and it should be fine. Ive had all sorts of colours on my cuts and they nearly always pull through.

i dont know what temp you have over there but I dont water mine or fertilise at all at this time of year. Id wait till it swells back up and active growth is starting

cheers man

yeah they in full sun nearly all day, and its about 10c to 25c but more towards the latter around this time of year

i would let calous for at least 3 weeks. Do not water or fert till it has thrown roots.

ps. you might want to make your pics smaller

Edited by Bush Turkey

haha yeah no shit i just open one then and saw thats just how my phone takes them, how do you scale can you do it on site or need to edit?

I don't think you can do it on site, and yeah phone and camera pics these days tend to be huge, you should be able to select it to be smaller though. The 1 Megapixel setting should be adequate for most uploads, and should be available on most devices, unless you have photoshop or similar scaling down might not be an easy process if you need to preserve some quality. (You could probably get a free program just for this purpose but I have no knowledge of them.)

Good luck with the cuttings!

you can right click on the thumbnail of the pic on your computer and click edit which will bring it up in paint and that has a resize feature on top left of screen. resize to about 40

Hi Cory, the black mold on top is no problem. Keep that part dry and put it somehwere it gets sun. But i would make sure you water and fertilize from the bottom. I dont like the general color. I know that the tip should be more yellow that the base because it might not have a good root system yet but the part with the black rot isnt looking well fed either. Tip should be kept rather on the dry side as this increases formation of the root. But make sure it gets at least some water.

The marks all over the body are sunburn. A major one like it was shot to the sun during an apollo mission. Maybe even in combination with spidermite damage. But sunburn like this happens a lot, i bought a few that look like this too. Mostly on ebay. Some of them never really healed. Also you should check the roots for mealy bugs. Weak plants like this tend to have it. Nevertheless, im sure youll nurse this plant back to health. Far from hopeless.

Edited by Evil Genius

is there somewhere in trouts notes describing how to check for mealy bugs, ive got the book but havnt been into it too much yet cheers for the tips tho man!

would it be worthwhile putting some sulphur on the top of that black top, just to be safe?

Hi Cory, just have a search around here to find out how mealy bugs look like. Or google it. There are many ways to deal with them but its hard to get rid of them if you dont want to use chemicals. In case of small infections, washing em off could already be enough to get it under control. I use a mix of hydrogen peroxid, soap, high concentraed alcohol and vinegar to spray the roots. Its a hard mix and some plants might not survive it so its always best to try washing em up with soapy acide water first. bye Eg

cheers for the tips man, im going away for a month on thursday so ill try sort it out by then!