The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
PhoenixSon

Mining careers

spacemonk im in the same boat now!

at my age (turning 34) im not financial. no debt, but in no way financial.

with a youngen myself ive started thinking whats going to happen for her financially if i kick the bucket.

ive been thinking about mackay, i dont care what im doing, quite happy to labour my ass off until hopefully a dump truck possy turns up.

im unsure how to get into it myself, bro in law knows a few guys who work there so is going to suss it out for me.

i get my license back end of january, currently working 12 hr days 6 days a week to save some money up, so come february ill have a bit of money to pursue the job.

from what i read dump truck drivers get 60buks an hour at mackay. thats 3 k a week. i wouldnt do it for long, maybee 5 yrs max.

on days off id drive/fly down to near brisbane and spend time with my daughter.

i think when u apprach ur mid thirtys the inescapable reality of our society sets in.

i want a nice little hobby farm, paid of ready to grow old and die on,

and some capital to leave to my kid when i die.

each day whether we like it or not, hippy, vergetraian, meateater, cityfolk, country hick whatever, are harming the environment just through being alive and a consumer.

we buy the petrol, we use plastics, we use the electricity, we use the water in excess. the mines are providing to the consumer. i would have no more problem ethically in working for the mines than i would in filling up my car or turning on a light switch.

dennis mckenna can kiss my consumer ass.

IF ANYONE HERE WORKS IN THE MCKAY MINES PLEASE PM ME!!

We all use products sourced from mining, I have questioned some of the jobs I have done in mining, I currently am not in the industry, but the money made from it is always tempting.

One way to get into the mines is apply for a drillers offsider position, you don't need much in the way of qualifications, mainly being fit, its a shit job, they always have problems filling this position, I've done it, they go through heaps of people, once your on the mine ask around, make contacts for better positions, I got my older brother to do this, it worked well, hes in.

Personally I didn't need to do this, I went to trade school, scored an apprenticeship, the place I did my time owned a quarry, and also did alot of work for a local gold mine, I worked hard, but now I get emails and ph calls all the time to come back to mining

This thread depresses me..is money really that important

Not important but for me it makes things easier.

And when one has responsibilities that involve it, then it's a necessity.

May er u could look around yard hand positions that can lead to bobcat and loader tickets.

Tickets get u in, then u realize the tickets are worth nought and real learning begins.

I occasionally drive loaders and bobcats and it's mad fun. Every little boy in the sandpits dream.

Edit- oh yeah tickets AND experience, youth get u into the mines.

Edited by incognito