The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
tipz

loph question

i am a little worried about two of my lophs.

Two seed grown lophs about 4 cm across are going soft and wrinkling at the fold where the tap-root meets the button ( wrong terminology i know ) The affected area seems to be turning grey but the rest above seems very firm and healthy.

Its growing indoors under hps lamps. The lws are a good 1.5 metres from them. My temps are ranging between 16 and 30 degrees. Medium is 50 percent coarse sand, fourty percent premium cacti mix and a bit of perlite. I have been watering every four to five days. I wait for the medium to dry out completely before the next water. Im using quarter strength nutrient ( high quality hydroponic flowering nutrient and a little rhizotonic ) I have quite a few and the rest all seem to be powering along and looking very healthy !

Anyway i have the feeling it may be the start of rot. So my question is do i chop and graft asap or am i freaking over nothing ?

Tried utfse but couldnt quite find an answer.

Hi Tipz, this could be everything. Pics or it didnt happen. :lol: Just kidding but without pics its impossible to say. If you have a camera, just post some snaps and we´ll have a look at it. bye Eg

No camera unfortunately eg - I had a waterproof lumix but left it down on the beach on the sand-dunes at deepcreek after a surf a week ago. :bong::BANGHEAD2: I will be purchasing a new one this week.

Best i can offer is the description. Its just i have never attempted a graft ! I have researched it thoroughly though and am confident i can do it, it just makes me nervous. But i have the stock ready to go, maybe ill take the plunge and just go try graft them. I have plenty in reserve ( although they are much smaller ) so if they die then its a lesson learnt !

No Problem but it would be helpful. I have the suspicion it could be spidermite damage and the fungal infection that often follows it. Cant say for sure though as my ability to imagine things isnt that good anymore. :lol: Keep an eye on it and try to keep that part as dry as possible. Only Water from below till your sure its not a spreading fungus. bye Eg

I grafted this morning ! my first two grafts ever :D , One onto a pach pup and one onto an unkown trich - pictures to come soon ! ( to quell any skepticism ;) )

Nervous and excited ! Just have to play the waiting game now !

Ill give the whole grow tent a spray with mite-rid as I had a major infestation in the room next door, so its likely they may have found their way into the tent. Cheers anyway EG

the grafts are looking good so far - generally how long is it before you can be sure you have had a successfull graft ?

can anyone tell me how long i should leave downward pressure on the scion for ? Its been three and a half days now and the scion (lw) seems to still be quite firm and green and doesnt seem to be dehydrating !im just using two flat smooth rocks ( not too heavy ) to weigh down the graft.

One of the scions has a larger diameter than the pup its grafted too... but seems to have sealed around the edges. The other scion is much smaller than the grafting stock and seems to have lifted away slightly on one edge.

Ill try borrow a camera today for some photos - but until then can anyone give me any advice just going on the info above ?

pleeeeease ?

Any advice would be very much appreciated

Well, im not sure if theres a rule about that. I leave it till the cuts have completely healed and im convinced the grafted seedling cant be pushed down by the shriveling skin again. And i usually wait till i see ative growth what can take a while. I´d like to hear other people opinions about that though. I never talked with other grafting growers about that.

I keep downward pressure on the graft for about 7 days & consider it a successful graft when the scion starts to grow. some grafts attach and seem to be ok but never actually grow. if it was a complete failure the scion would start showing signs of getting shriveling after a few weeks if not sooner.

well it's been ten days. They are still very plump and healthy and fully attached, but as yet not showing signs of growth. Im going to repot the grafting stock into larger pots and see if that helps. cheers for the advice wt :)

i am a little worried about two of my lophs.

Two seed grown lophs about 4 cm across are going soft and wrinkling at the fold where the tap-root meets the button ( wrong terminology i know ) The affected area seems to be turning grey but the rest above seems very firm and healthy.

Its growing indoors under hps lamps. The lws are a good 1.5 metres from them. My temps are ranging between 16 and 30 degrees. Medium is 50 percent coarse sand, fourty percent premium cacti mix and a bit of perlite. I have been watering every four to five days. I wait for the medium to dry out completely before the next water. Im using quarter strength nutrient ( high quality hydroponic flowering nutrient and a little rhizotonic ) I have quite a few and the rest all seem to be powering along and looking very healthy !

Anyway i have the feeling it may be the start of rot. So my question is do i chop and graft asap or am i freaking over nothing ?

Tried utfse but couldnt quite find an answer.

It might be overfeeding. Too much N can cause them to become rubbery. If so they can be saved by repotting, or maybe by flushing the soil with fresh water.

well here are the photos finally of the two lophs discussed.

My first two grafts ( have grafted 10now, all have taken B)

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

(EDIT)

I Just went in and noticed the leftover of the grafting stock from the specimens photographed Is shooting three tiny pups out from the top of the tap-root ! :drool2::worship: so i have, a soon to be, triple headed loph. Made my day

Edited by tipz
  • Like 1