The Corroboree
Jonstn

Growing Acacia Obtusifolia from seed

Thanks for that Jonstn. I wonder if the comment 'phosphorus sensitive' is significant. I'll do more research. :)

They do not like much phosphorus (neither do the rhyzobial bacteria). Recommend (sorry not organic) ozmocote for natives, or other high-Nitrogen slow release food.

• Like 1

Nice pics Heffa! The red in that obtusi looks sweet as :) just wondering, how much/strong sunlight do they get? Mine haven't been under direct sun yet theyre living in the shade house ATM weathers been getting around 30 lately :blink:

Thanks mate, our temps have been sitting on around 28-30 too and i just ensured that around a week after sprouting i put them slowly into full sun. Started with them in about 5am-10am sun and over the course of around 2 weeks have moved them up to 5am-4pm full sun. They reaallly shoot off in the full sun :)

Keep up the good work!

awesome

heck I must be doing something wrong...

Doing well.

I find that out of each set of 10 seeds only really one plant ends up showing any promise. In nature plants usually drops heaps for only a few to probably survive to maturity so in that context 1 in 10 is pretty good.

Looks like you have a nice collection of other acacias growing too. well done.

keep up the good work,

Cheers, Obtuse.

• Like 1

Not having much luck mutant?

Thanks for that Heffa :) might have to start slowly moving mine out into full sun would be better to do it now then mid summer I'd say. I'm guessing the sun would have something to do with its red colour?

Will upload some more pics when there's a bit more growth :)

not having much luck, no

I admit I am more focused on cacti these last 2 years, so I have not really tried too hard with them. I figured out a way to germinate them . Maybe my problem is that symbiotic stuff [bacteria or something] that helps them?

mine has not grown a lot, an a.acuminata . and winter is coming.. should it stay in the dry side during winter?

I am propably germinating more next year, maybe trying those jiffy pellets. but as I said, I thin with a file and manage to get a pretty decent germ rate, so no problem for that. its afterwards that hasn't been too good for me.

na, here:

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24314&st=0&p=254758&hl=acacia&fromsearch=1entry254758

thankfully I have a bigger maidenii that was gifted to me in pretty poor shape and is doing great. I am putting this in the ground

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=28981&st=0&p=319051&hl=acacia&fromsearch=1entry319051

• Like 1

Hey mutant I wouldn't be to worried about the accuminatas slow growth, the 2 I got have hardly moved compared to the rest of my acacia sp I think they are just awesomely slow.

I always try and let them completely dry out before watering would definitely be inclined to keep it on the dryer side over winter :)

Nice looking madenii btw sweet score!

Got an update for mine, he was looking really droopy in the shade house a few days ago so I moved him outside with my others and he's loving it!!!! The growth seems to have taken off ive just been checking it twice a day or so for any signs of burning, had to put him back in the shade house yesterday arvo cos the sun was brutal.

It's getting sun behind trees until about 2pm then full sun until sunset.

f8bd8f97.jpg

• Like 1

Update :)

They have been outside since last post, and doing sweet!!

Got a beautiful red on the stem and leaf tips, they're growing up so fast *shed tear*

87f55bee.jpg

dc634b90.jpg

This ones going slow but still going, respect lol

d1f8a73d.jpg

Here's the family:

343bfbf2.jpg

I just read through the thread, was nice watching the progress glad I started it :)

Thanks again for everyones input it's been great, love this place!

Peace.

Edited by Jonstn
  • Like 1

Awesome work dude! How old are your acunimatas? you also have them in larger pots too

Do update the thread when there's more progress

I've had the bigger acacias for a few months now from a nursery, got 2 acuminatas but one was hidden behind a melanoxylon in that pic. Got them as tube stock the tube was so packed out with roots, they have done a bit of growing over the months, think they might be grown from cuttings.

Cheers for the support mate, it's getting up around early 30's today so gonna have to keep a eye on the obtusi's :)

Acacia melanoxylon is basically an evasive weed on my grandparent’s property in Ballarat, which has the coldest winters I’ve ever experienced. So they would probably be a good species to grow in colder climates for someone who wants tall and fast growing acacias in there yard. Though there not the best looking acacias, imo, and I have no idea if they would serve another purpose.

Theres also nearly 50 mature acacias on the property that look just like longifolia to me, but don’t really know. It’s absolutely magic when they all go into flower, the dry dusty landscape Suddenly just turns into layers of green and gold.

Sorry but this is the best picture on my phone of a mature A. melanoxylon (without seroiusly incriminating myself, lol) on the left of the baileyana.

post-968-0-83718400-1322942412_thumb.jpg

And the species which looks like longifolia, absolutely spectacular.

post-968-0-65279300-1322942476_thumb.jpg

Can't wait till I have some land, I'm gonna plant the whole place out with different species of acacias. Anyway, good luck with your obtusefolia jonstn, looks like it's going nicely.

• Like 1

Some nice size trees your g'rents got there mate :)

I know what your saying about the land, im hanging to get a nice bit of property to go ape shit on hahaha.

Ive read mixed reviews about the melanox's other uses, even if they were good for someyhing else it wouldnt matter to me im just keen for all different types of acacia :)

Any specimen on yout grandys block throwing seed? Ive seen heaps lately (mainly bailyana by the looks of it) just covered in pods, pity i never have the time to stop and take a few :(

Cheers for the kind words buddy, My obtusi's are doing pretty sweet still just battling the caterpillars atm lol might take a few snaps when i get home :)

2b0bbab1.jpg

He's growing quite crooked :s don't know what's going on there might try and point him in the right direction

• Like 1