The Corroboree
tripsis

Growing Gracilaria seaweeds for agar production.

Aside from the difficulty in sourcing the correct Gracilaria species for agar production, would it be difficult to grow them for the purpose of making agar out of them? It seems that some Gracilaria should be available from reef aquarium shops, so it can't be too difficult cultivating them.

I found this on some aquarium forum:

Not sure of the benefits of the Gracilaria Curtissae, but it has made a difference to my tank. If anyone wants some for a fuge, let me know. I just chucked a bit out, grows fairly quickly.

A photo of the G. curtissae in the person's tank:

IMG_0288.jpg

Not sure if G. curtissae can be used in agar production.

The process for extracting agar from Gracilaria seems pretty industrial, so probably doesn't make it worth the effort, nor probably cost-effective, but it's still an interesting idea for anyone who uses agar regularly.

The process is described in the following link.

A manual for the processing of agar from Gracilaria

Man, that's a lot of work to get your agar. Are you considering it? What do you see as the benefits of "grow-your-own" agar? Is commercial agar cultivated or harvested from the sea? If harvested, is it something that's especially ecologically destructive?

Not really considering, at least not at this stage. If I owned my own property and had money to throw around, I might give it a go, but otherwise it's more of an idea, working out the feasibility of it, etc.

Benefits...well, I like having the option of being self-sufficient. Obviously having to buy lots of chemicals and equipment isn't exactly being self-sufficient, but being capable of producing your own agar would be a good option to have. I also enjoy being a part of the process every step of the way.

I'm not sure if commercial agar is cultivated or harvested, but I's say it's a safe bet that it is harvested and that it probably does come at an ecological cost.

Man, that's a lot of work to get your agar. Are you considering it? What do you see as the benefits of "grow-your-own" agar? Is commercial agar cultivated or harvested from the sea? If harvested, is it something that's especially ecologically destructive?

Irie,

Excellent link!

We have commercial grows here. (taking the kids to that beach today, I'll try & get some shots!)

But you can often find it "wild" washing up on the beach after heavy seas.

I've got as far as cleaning & drying a portion, but haven't gone any further...yet!

The pressure filter looks a bit of a challenge!

I did drop a couple of grams in an aya brew, & created "Aya Glup"!

Quite disgusting! But little of the aya flavor. It just slides down in one lump!

Respect,

Z

Irie,

I'm not sure if commercial agar is cultivated or harvested, but I's say it's a safe bet that it is harvested and that it probably does come at an ecological cost.

Commercial grows in fact add to the eco system, providing extra nursery areas for all kind of marine life!

Respect,

Z

Interesting to know is it actually cultivated. I suppose with worldwide demand for agar, cultivation is a necessity.

Commercial grows in fact add to the eco system, providing extra nursery areas for all kind of marine life!

I meant that I was hedging bets on it being wild harvested, not cultivated. How do they grow it commercially?

Irie,

It grown on strings of plastic bottles/buoys roped together.

Respect,

Z

Wow, wouldn't have expected that. Pretty good way to reuse plastic waste! Please do get our some photos if you can.

Irie,

Talk about luck!

My man had just come back in, on his Dory!

The sack is sea moss...

The green stuff is a weed that suffocates the sea moss & needs to be cleaned out...Piled onshore!

Sorry couldn't get any shots of the grow!

Respect,

Z

post-5111-0-03463200-1311541957_thumb.jp

post-5111-0-05653400-1311542006_thumb.jp

post-5111-0-92924000-1311542038_thumb.jp

post-5111-0-03463200-1311541957_thumb.jpg

post-5111-0-05653400-1311542006_thumb.jpg

post-5111-0-92924000-1311542038_thumb.jpg

post-5111-0-03463200-1311541957_thumb.jpg

post-5111-0-05653400-1311542006_thumb.jpg

post-5111-0-92924000-1311542038_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

how can i get a st. lucia passport?

i'm serious and willing to marry for citizenship, sorry for the sidetrack.

nice pic's, i love how the people are always in a good mood in the carrebian, and often smile! :)

Edited by planthelper

Irie,

PM me!!!

I lived on this beach for a year.....

Life's a beach!

Then ya live on one!

Respect,

Z

Damn, that's some nice scenery there! Cheers for the photos Zaka.

Hi

misanthropic biophile

i can't see your attachemet...could you please upload it again?