The Corroboree
troublecomes

reishi prints

Hi all,

I'm really keen to try my hand at growing reishi. I can't seem to find a source for spore prints, only syringes. Does anyone have a link for reishi prints? Perhaps someone has a print they'd be willing to sell/give me? I'd offer something to trade, but I've got nothing really, I'm very new. I really want to get involved though.

Thanks and regards,

M

A syringe would be better as the hard work has already been done. It's hard taking prints from some mushrooms too so it can be better to clone from tissue samples and make liquid cultures etc.

I have the odd spawn bag of Reishi now and then.

Thanks for the replies. Agree a syringe would be better, but unless the donor was in perth, might be a bit problematic? I've had a bit of luck with LCs and I built a stirrer today.

Punkin, if you'd like to share when you've got some, perhaps we could arrange something?

Why would you not order from interstate? It's not as if you are ordering anything illegal. Furthermore, postage within Australia isn't really a problem. They're more worried about international postage.

I just shake my liquid cultures.

Which species do you already have?

Hi migraineur, yep don't know if I really needed a stirrer, just for fun really. Don't have any strains at the moment, used to have one of those you use for microscopy only.

I had a look on the net but couldn't find a supplier in oz for reishi. Do you know of one?

Try messaging themushroombloke on the forums. He might have some. I am sure there would be a few others on here too. They might post once they read this. Give it a day or two. It's one of the mushrooms I want to get a culture of.

At the moment I have slants of Cordyceps Militaris, Grifola Frondosa and Hericium Erinaceus. I have a shiitake print somewhere and I have some blue oyster petri dishes too. I gave a few blue oyster petri dishes away because my cultures are basically in storage and I thought I'd share the love around. It's also good sharing them with others because then you can create a 'buddy system' which will save you much trouble should you have a catastrophic failure and lose your cultures. The guy whom I gave some cultures to disappeared off the face of the earth though = /

I had some portabello mushrooms growing but then I got sick of them so I couldn't be bothered. Bunnings sells mushroom kits sometimes (and some other places) so you can use them to grow some mushrooms and make some prints/cultures from. Another reason why I stopped growing portabello mushrooms is because I'd rather concentrate on growing the more expensive mushrooms with the limited space, time and materials that I have. They aint cheap when you see the prices in the shops!

I have to revive my reishi, it may still be ok. For best result pm Punkin, he's quick reliable and has no contams... top bloke!

failing that I'll be trying to revive my grain soon, would a petri dish be ok? do you have a pressure cooker?

other things worth noting:

reshi is an agressive mushroom and colonises nicely, I have made a medicinal tea out of them and they're bitter as buggery but the health properties over ride the bad taste.

Hi again, thanks for all the info :-) @themushroombloke yes I have a pressure cooker. I've no experience with agar, would I mallee an lc with a piece?

Hi guys,

Thought I'd chime in, being in Perth and all.

Yes you can make an LC with a small piece off a reishi agar plate. If you can get your hands on fresh reishi from a shop, you can start playing with putting a small inside/unexposed piece directly into your substrate OR getting some going onto agar yourself, the problem is I've never seen reishi at any shop, has anyone else?

On an LC note, I'm not sure if reishi like anything specific, but with 'others' I've had great success with the standard Karo/water with the secret ingredient.....Vegemite. Lots of yeast, beef extract and salt to fight contams. I know people have used it for agar mixes, but an LC is just the same minus the agar agar.

Peace

Hi again, thanks for all the info :-) @themushroombloke yes I have a pressure cooker. I've no experience with agar, would I mallee an lc with a piece?

you'll need to either get grain spawn off of Punkin or buy Paul Stamet's book "growing gourmet and Medicinal mushrooms" and start brushing up on your mushie cultivation skills

Hi.

Happy to go from print, agar, or spawn then. I've got some experience with LCs, rye grain and horse poo, but I guess it's time to learn about agar. Natural progression I guess.

Punkin, looks like you're my best hope...

I

On another note, I'm stoked that there seems to be many people out there with similar interests, in Aus. Haven't met any one in RL interested in mycology.

I'll be doing up some spawn bags over the w'end. Pm me for prices on what you want.

Cheers