The Corroboree
tripsis

The rape of men

as soon as you start talking/thinking about the opposite sex, i find, it is very easy to throw in a little dig, and of course any generalisation is a stupid generalisation. when i think about it this must be the same way that racism and homophobia and whatever else begins. i am guilty of it at times. maybe it's a way to cover up your own lack of tolerance, and unconditional love, or to express your bitterness over some past hurt. is that why?

this thread was originally about a very serious topic.

africa sure is a troubled place. i work with some african blokes from different parts of the continent, they were perhaps not lower class africans which explains how they made it to australia but they all have problems, their family is back in africa, their family is dead, etc. i dunno what to say except they are fantastic, friendly people.

Yeah, it's a shame this thread has been derailed the way it has. The discussion on feminism isn't even a good one. Really, if people must vent there misogyny, make another thread of it and please leave this thread on topic.

When I was in Kenya in 2006, there was a full blown rape epidemic going on. Every time I'd read the paper, it was article after article about rape. Teachers having students and giving them AIDS, brothers raping sisters, a home invasion on an Australian woman where she and her maid her both gang-raped. At one point, on the exact matatu (pick up van) route we were on the week before, the matatu was stopped by a gang of men who held everyone at gun point, robbed them all and gang-raped the one woman present. My girlfriend at the time and myself were pretty young and travelling only with each other. It was full on. More than once we had to beat a hasty escape from very dodgy situations. Still, all the media reports were of heterosexual rape. None of them ever touched of men raping other men.

It's a shame it was the way it was, as we could not (or rather, would not) afford to go on safari and there are no backpackers in East Africa, so it was just us travelling around in a very confronting region, with little that we could afford to do. We got as far as Tanzania, but bailed after that, which I regret. If we had get going to Malawi, from all accounts we would have been far happier. We had planned a nine months there and only spend three and a half instead. I'd like to go back, to explore the surrounding countries, as well as the west, south and more of the north of the continent. I'd want alone this time, not with a girlfriend who I fear could be raped any day we're there.

Edited by tripsis

I got 4 negatives for post 76?? Suddenly Rush Limbaugh's "feminazi" makes a lot more sense...

syncro

not only are you an idiot, but you're off topic as well.

syncro said:

right. then shut the fuck up you fucking moron

V

Mycot, stick to mushrooms dude, bringing your antifeminist , pro-men BS to this thread of all threads smells really bad.

I thought more of you than that...

and for what it's worth, IMO these types of opinions reveal more about sexual [and other] insecurites of the men that express them, and certainly don't show people enlightened or people that know how people work.

And you know, some people might attempt to pass their sexist BS as jokes. But we're smarter than that.

feminist sexism is more justified than the regular man one....

Suck a fuck you hypocritical retard.

Edited by synchromesh

Tone down the insults guys.

• Like 3

Yeah, it's a shame this thread has been derailed the way it has. The discussion on feminism isn't even a good one. Really, if people must vent there misogyny, make another thread of it and please leave this thread on topic.

When I was in Kenya in 2006, there was a full blown rape epidemic going on. Every time I'd read the paper, it was article after article about rape. Teachers having students and giving them AIDS, brothers raping sisters, a home invasion on an Australian woman where she and her maid her both gang-raped. At one point, on the exact matatu (pick up van) route we were on the week before, the matatu was stopped by a gang of men who held everyone at gun point, robbed them all and gang-raped the one woman present. My girlfriend at the time and myself were pretty young and travelling only with each other. It was full on. More than once we had to beat a hasty escape from very dodgy situations. Still, all the media reports were of heterosexual rape. None of them ever touched of men raping other men.

It's a shame it was the way it was, as we could not (or rather, would not) afford to go on safari and there are no backpackers in East Africa, so it was just us travelling around in a very confronting region, with little that we could afford to do. We got as far as Tanzania, but bailed after that, which I regret. If we had get going to Malawi, from all accounts we would have been far happier. We had planned a nine months there and only spend three and a half instead. I'd like to go back, to explore the surrounding countries, as well as the west, south and more of the north of the continent. I'd want alone this time, not with a girlfriend who I fear could be raped any day we're there.

Perhaps the male rape (I can't bring myself to call it "homosexual" rape; no love involved) just wasn't given any media attention and is a hushed up topic? It seems the value of life is pretty low which is heartbreaking to think about family members acting out such atrocities on each other. Unsurprising though considering the low life expectancy rate amongst highly populous people in a region which can't support anywhere as much life.

Sounds like you had an extremely REAL experience in Africa with your girlfriend, Tripsis. Certainly been given a far more true idea than any image we'd have seen just on TV.

Ugh, so many typos and missed/wrong words in my above post. Really ought to proof read before submitting as post...

I suspect it was something along the lines of it being hushed up, but it may just not have been as prevalent either, as male rape seems to be associated with war crimes, rather than the regular, everyday rape that was occurring there at the time.

It's more than just a high populace in a region that can't sustain that populace FP that results in rape and murder a such high rates, it's inherently cultural. Just look at India or other poor areas of Asia. Rape would still occur, just like it does here, but not at such exceptionally high rates like those in Africa. Violence is also rife in many countries in Africa. When we were in Kenya, Nairobi was declared the world's most dangerous city. It probably now Johannesburg, but I've not checked recently. For example, it's a common belief in many parts of Africa that having sex with someone who doesn't have AIDS (usually a child of less than 6 or 8) is a cure for AIDS. India, by contrast, is a relatively safe place to travel, despite the rampant poverty and overcrowding. You're more likely to die in a car accident in India than you are from a stabbing. Culturally ingrained attitudes in India are a world apart from those in Africa. That's not to say great people don't exist in East Africa and that you won't be welcomed into someone's home, but the way we felt after a while of travelling there was not conducive to trusting anyone's intentions.

Our experience of East Africa was undoubtedly real, but also too narrow. We only travelled in two countries there and each country has a different culture. There's not a country in Africa I wouldn't like to travel through. An east to west (or vice versa) and north to south (or vice versa) overland journey would be amazing.

Sorry for playing my part in derailing this serious subject and for insulting the anti-feminists.

Tripsis, hey you have traveled a lot, man, hey? Sounds quite dangerous what you lived back there...

I've travelled a bit mutant, though not nearly as much as I would like to have. Money is always the limiting factor.