The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
hebrew

Acacia oxycedrus

i recently was going through some bush and came across various acacia's but this one stood out the most, very thick in some patches. not very large trees but larg enough to be beginning flowering, i got some photos i will upload later.

at dmtnexus, one fulla there says

an independent researcher & my own group have confirmed that alkaloids (incl.DMT) in good yields (0.3-0.7%) have been found

in this tree. More work is now needed studying & propagating this species (there are at least 2 sub-species).

and then

i can confirm from observing several bio-assays, and reports by another researcher, the succesful tryptamine activity of

Acacia oxycedrus (Vic.,NSW,SA) (2 varieties + x-breeds with longifolia & mucronata)

was hoping to have a HPLC or GCMS before announcing, but there are delays. Good yields, effects good but composition unknown.

There may be a bit of variation, but the sampled plants are 'good'. Good enough that, despite no GCMS, i'm prepared to put

it on the list..

should be able to get some seeds out in coming months since they are starting to flower now., cute little spikey plant

Edited by VelvetSiren

have something similar up here, but it only gets relatively small...

widespread fast gorwer down south?

these ones i saw today, were not taller than me and very scaggy looking, not sure how big or fast they grow, first time i come across them, its funny cause i was just walking through some stringybarks looking at the mushrooms and bush in general, first time being in these hills and saw the flower and then recognised them as i was just looking them up a few days ago on the internet.

when i get a chance i will put photos, i also found an acacia that looks so much like phleb to me, it can't be as it wasnt on buffalo, but not far from there, 100km or bit more. maybe it is alpinia? i will chuck those photos up as well when i get time

have a couple of these im pretty sure, will get some pics tomorrow aswell.

scraggly looking for sure.

Doesnt seem very prevalent but its a tiny acacia compared to others ive seen.

For scientific interest where are the actives based/speculated? PM if you want.

Edited by spacemonk

i've no idea bro, would be interested to know from others, or any other info people might know about this plant, nice little plant i reckon

Very pretty little tree there VS, nice find regardless of goodies inside :)

yeah, nice plant will collect seed when time is right, its pretty endemic to this mountain i was at today

the one we have around here is different squatter different floweraswell, puffball, unless they change more as they mature.

But same general shape/design.

photos some time later

need to check out the colors of the plant tomorrow to suss it out, shouldn't be too hard.

First pictures mirrors something.

Be a nice one to grow very different acacia..

yeah through up some pics, it hybridises with two other acacia's so not sure what they look like, the photo of one hybridisation i seen that was tested for tryptamines looks like a longifolia sort of to me. man acacia ID thats a life long learning journey

will do soon, have written it on that list to do..

just quickly having a look,

Acacia oxycedrus http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/oxycedrus.php

Acacia oxycedrus x sophorae http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/oxycedrus_x_sophorae.php

Also hybridises with the longifolia variant of Acacia mucronata http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/mucronata.php

as with the longifolia variant of Acacia longifolia http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/longifolia.php

as well as Acacia floribunda as mentioned in the first link, which i reckon would be of great interest.

"specimens apparently referable to a hybrid between these parents has been recorded from Brooklyn on the Hawkesbury R., N of Sydney"

There's collection data for it, but little hesitant to post it even though it's easily publicly accessable?

If yours have ball flowers spacemonk they'll be a different species altogether, there's a few options under the ball ones similar to oxycedrus, there's also reduced spikes which can look a bit ball like. Were they singular balls or many balls on a stem?

Edited by gerbil

gerbil if you want pm me ay info about this plant, i have taken a great interest in it. as with mucronata. and the hybrids of oxycedrus with muconata, longifolia, also interested in longasiima (sp?) even though doesnt seem to be a native to here, but mucronata var longifolia

anyway, been obsessed with acacia's lately, trying to name all that live within 15 minute radius of me

hah you've just sparked me back into it, checking some validity of locational data is coming up with some inspiring info :D

Good luck with the local project, well worth it i reckon, i got to a stage where i couldn't find anymore on the ground or on species list for the area so thought i nailed most of them, then found a whole new bunch and am continuing to find more within very short areas, they are hugely dynamic and it's quite impressive the diversity of species over very small localised areas, which change over short distances, bioregional significance ey, hugely underrated. Often there are good isolated plants around in local areas that aren't acknowledged as being there, or haven't been recorded for ages, persistence definitely comes up with some good surprises, with definite chance of new species and hybrids.

Now's a great season/year, as with the good rains after long dry, seems a lot of species are making themselves more prominant with massive blooms and healthy tip flush.

The tricky buggers are planted specimens especially different forms/varieties brought in from outer localities being sourced from a few kilometers to continent wide and then the hybrids of, which then start to naturalise, which makes the local area variable non-valid in ID and then opens you up to the possibility of it being any species continent wide haha fun...

Then after you get your head around some stability of species occurrence in vegetation communities you can acknowledge from viewing, bushfire come in, and it's back to grasshopper.

It's often best to source as much info as possible from wide range of sources, some species i've only been able to click when 1 reference say out of 10 has included one extra sentence with the critical piece of info, when all other references excluded it, it's tedious seeing parroted classification info, but weeding out the special reference is well worth it.

we'll do a walk one day eh :D

Edited by gerbil

yeah sounds good

looking at mucronata ssp longifolia, it will be an interesting and tricky one, am getting lots of varied information in veg. communities, from heavy abundant widespread, to abundant in widespread pockets but not as wide spread...east to west, coastal and inland...i reckon even getting info from council to council would be hit and miss, 'tis hard to source ID folk with well truthed locality data in the local authorities. It also doesn't help when councils split themselves in delineated veg communities away from the standard state based ones, (which are pretty slack anyway, so no big surprise with individual innovation)

Probably another one that is under my nose in my area too! Will keep ya posted...

yeah i guess you just gotta get out there and look and now is a good time, as a lot of wattles ares heading into flower.

If yours have ball flowers spacemonk they'll be a different species altogether, there's a few options under the ball ones similar to oxycedrus, there's also reduced spikes which can look a bit ball like. Were they singular balls or many balls on a stem?

Single yellow puffs branching off main stem,

lots of flowers,

miniature form by the looks of the photo's, smaller spikes and branch thickness.

photo's up tomorrow

Here they are... spied another new acacia around here aswell, blunt fat leaf..need to get some pics. The other around here is the zigzag wattle think that is the late flowering black wattle. Acacia's are like tricho's. Sluts.

Edited by spacemonk

post-4338-0-88321000-1311983769_thumb.jp

post-4338-0-43651000-1311983793_thumb.jp

post-4338-0-44948100-1311984026_thumb.jp

post-4338-0-72540700-1311984096_thumb.jp

post-4338-0-88321000-1311983769_thumb.jpg

post-4338-0-43651000-1311983793_thumb.jpg

post-4338-0-44948100-1311984026_thumb.jpg

post-4338-0-72540700-1311984096_thumb.jpg

post-4338-0-88321000-1311983769_thumb.jpg

post-4338-0-43651000-1311983793_thumb.jpg

post-4338-0-44948100-1311984026_thumb.jpg

post-4338-0-72540700-1311984096_thumb.jpg

Edited by spacemonk

Edited by spacemonk

oh yeah i can;t remember this ones name, i see it around a lot and recently bothered to find its name now i lost it. it will come to me

Acacia ulicifolia... dammit i wanted oxycedrus! oh well part of the journey :lol:

congrats on your find :wub:

Has anyone heard anything about ulicifolia?