The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Zen Peddler

First tracks from my new EP

Here they are - well five of the nine and probably the better ones of my vague attempt to create a new style of electronic music Ive decided to call 'Ballz' LOL:

http://soundcloud.com/user8117698/devils-lettuce

http://soundcloud.com/user8117698/pay

http://soundcloud.com/user8117698/we-mean-you-no-harm

http://soundcloud.com/user8117698/arizona-sedona-vortex-pilot

http://soundcloud.com/user8117698/luv-u-longtime

Although only three of these tracks are in any way Ballzy - the first is more glitchy ambient, the fourth more house.

I guess these are finished bar another attempt to retune the glitch sound at the end of the fourth track and more compression on Pay.

After this I am gonna try and finish the more ambient work called Miilk - which includes the track "at The lakehouse".

Killer. Really like 'Play'. You have a habit of getting vocal FX to not sound corny. 'We mean you no harm' reminded me of some old digitech effects. I really like the end split of 'Arizona'. They're all good mate! Are you mastering your stuff or just saving it straight out? You should get me to do some guitar solos for you though ;)

If this is intended to be an album release (or EP as you say), then why didn't you wait until you had the complete tracks, ordered, mixed down and ready to present as a whole concept ? Strikes me as strange, considering the concern in another thread about track ordering as being part of the overall feel of a release.

I'm going to listen when the release is complete. Just hurry up about it ! :lol:

So is this being published and marketed through a real-world label and distribution channel ?

Hi guys - thanks for your comments.

My mate used to work at a mastering place in Fitzroy and the going rate is upwards of $1,000 and some of the things they'd do were just literally re-EQing the mix and adding light compression. Since Ive already mixed them down to the point right before clipping, EQ'd them and I am happy with the results Ive decided not to bother with mastering. I can always go back and mix them down at 0db and have them mastered if there is enough interest in the tracks.

100% independent release. I guess its more of a demo EP than a proper concept EP. Ive spoken to a few labels about my other stuff (and the deals were in general pretty shitty) and I can safely say that they werent interested in this stuff at all. Im planning on just getting the music out; putting cds in cafes and allowing them to keep the profit. Money isnt the driver really.

These tracks are complete unless I spot an error between now and tonight when i post the cd in to get printed up. I was gonna try and get them on itunes for download.

I havent worked out the order of songs, but all songs are finished, cover is done bar the song order.

Edited by Zen Peddler BlueGreenie

I really like the feel and quality of Pay.. sounds trip hoppy

but can I hear a little clipping when the guitars and the vocals mix? like at 3:54? I don't think it's my system clipping because I have my volume down pretty low.

What DAW did you use? I'd love to sink my teeth into remixing this a little

Thanks for the pickup - undoubtedly there'll still be some clipping in there somewhere. I compressed the shit out of it, but its a fine balance between a few clips and too much compression. Ill have a look this arvo anyway to see.

Most of my stuff is arranged on pretty obscure tracker/DAW programs like Qtractor and Renoise.

Thanks for the pickup - undoubtedly there'll still be some clipping in there somewhere. I compressed the shit out of it, but its a fine balance between a few clips and too much compression. Ill have a look this arvo anyway to see.

Most of my stuff is arranged on pretty obscure tracker/DAW programs like Qtractor and Renoise.

Yeah I do like Pay a lot. Nice feel, all the elements fit well together and contribute. Great reverbed drums and hats, vocals work, the panning on all the FX is sweet.. and then the layered guitars and heavy snare take it up a notch. The only thing I think it could do with is something to anticipate the changes during the structure.. like a reverse cymbal, or a couple of reverse snare hits or something.

Edit: Kinda like this (click me).. just a few subtle ones.

post-4120-0-20211900-1310444821_thumb.jp

post-4120-0-20211900-1310444821_thumb.jpg

post-4120-0-20211900-1310444821_thumb.jpg

Edited by Undergrounder

Great stuff.. For some reason I assumed a lot of your music taste would have been Metal oriented (obviously i didn't read the entirety of your post) but this stuff is right up my alley! Wonderful stuff. What program did you use to create it? Sibelius? FL Studios?

Forget that last question, amazing what kind of info you can pick up when you actually read the thread :slap:

Edited by Kee

Having analysed the tracks down to the tiniest degree Im gonna fix them all up because they all seem to have errors.

Ill put up the actual Miilk stuff tonight - probably a bit tidier in terms of structure and definately production. :)