The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
gogogadget

Vermiculite and Asbestos

not exactly new but something i didn't know :scratchhead:

During the summer of 2000, reports began to surface warning of asbestos contamination in vermiculite. Most of the nation's vermiculite originates from a mine near Libby, Montana, where the ore naturally contains about 2 to 3% asbestos fibers. Apparently, all sources of natural vermiculite contain some level of asbestos (24). The principal danger comes from inhaling the asbestos fibers, which are known carcinogens.

As of July 2001, there has been no action by the federal government to recall, regulate, or enforce safety labeling on vermiculite products. The Environmental Protection Agency, however, has advised commercial growers to find substitutes for vermiculite in potting media (25).

If vermiculite must be used, work with it only in well-ventilated areas, wet the material as soon as possible, and blend it with materials that help reduce dust levels. Wear a dust mask and gloves as added protection.

Asbestos contamination has not yet made vermiculite a prohibited substance in organic production, but that is a possibility in the future. Until that time, each producer should weigh the risks before using this material.

source - Potting Mixes for Certified Organic Production

and download full pdf here

VermiculitePot300.jpg

Edited by gogogadget
  • Like 2

nice bit of info gogo, got a source?

sorry, where are my manners... :BANGHEAD2: edited post.

Thats some very useful info, Gadget. I wasnt aware of this at all and im glad you brought it up. In my eyes, vermiculite isnt that necessary to grow shrooms anyway and can be replaced by other materials. bye Eg

'Greencavefloat' i would get a checkup.. :unsure: not good man, wow i didn't even think about mushys, good call :scratchhead: very unsafe :o

Edited by gogogadget

Cheers for the info that's something I wasn't aware of.

I have been told perlite is extremely bad to inhale too, once it gets in your lungs it doesn't get out.

Looks like i'll be wearing a dust mask from now on.

Even soil is bad to inhale, microbes can get into yr lungs, its all bad so it would it seem, all the stuff they want us to inhale that can cause carcinogens or premature lung bronchitis & pneumoconiosis is legal, tobacco, vermiculite & rockwool, fibreglass, cement & plaster dust,paint fumes, carbon monoxide, silica, cotton, wood dust etc.

the list is longer than the rialto tower and one would have to catch a taxi to get thru it, but the good old beneficial cannabis that has never had one recorded death remains illegal and the majority find it quite pleasant to inhale! :blink:

Cheers for the info that's something I wasn't aware of.

I have been told perlite is extremely bad to inhale too, once it gets in your lungs it doesn't get out.

Looks like i'll be wearing a dust mask from now on.

perlite is almost as irritating as fiberglass to the lungs, and should be wetted down before mixing if you dont have a dust mask

vermiculite dust isn't nearly so irritating, and doesn't get as dusty anyways

the risk of handling of verm is so very minor, Libby was an air quality issue for several reasons. industrial mining and an inversion layer to dust and woodsmoke in the air. Cancer in Libby is more related to smoke iirc the had a wood stove change-out there to help clear the air.

verm is similar in asbestos % to our local serpentine belt, which i used to mine thru, so i've done some research into the dangers which are minor for occasional exposure

Edited by dg420

You could buy Australian vermiculite from AVI where I used to work. They were quite proud of the fact that there vermiculite contained no asbestos making it quite rare.

Here is a note from their MSDS

'Note: This product has been analysed repeatedly by the Institute of Occupational Medicine in Scotland and

AMDEL in Australia and has been found to be free of contamination from asbestiform mineral fibres and has

a quartz concentration of less than 0.1%.'

Our biggest concern was for quartz dust all around the mine and processing plant.

Vermiculite MSDS.pdf

Vermiculite MSDS.pdf

Vermiculite MSDS.pdf

Ah fuck... shrooms will kill me after all...

i used to buy verm first from online dealers, then bunnings and then some shop in northcote that sold a massive bag as big as me for $30.

Tell me these were all reputable...

One thing Im pretty certain though is that im gonna die from something or other sometime too soon :rolleyes:

Edited by Zen Peddler BlueGreenie

i just discovered my towns water supply pipes are made out of asbestos.

once you dry your cloth the fibres get airborne.

i worked as a tradesman and had exposure to it, sometimes i count how much asbestos i can find on one single walk, hehehe. even the boxes in the ground with the telstra lid on top are asbestos, it's everywhere...

i worked as a tradesman and had exposure to it,

I once saw a documentary about Asbestos and how the Industry denied its effect on the lungs till the early 80s i think. They showed pictures of workers who carried those huge 75 kilo bags of grey Asbestos dust and were standing in a cloud of dust while they were handling em. It makes me go berzerk when i think about the fact that very few of them were recompensated in any way. How were you exposed to ít? I really read into asbestos to make sure i recognize it when i come in contact somewhere but its pretty hard sometimes.Just take a look at the pic for example. Its pretty easy to mistake that for normal plaster or cement.

post-1140-0-35162100-1306828645_thumb.jp

post-1140-0-35162100-1306828645_thumb.jpg

post-1140-0-35162100-1306828645_thumb.jpg