The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
dreamscape

Loph graft flowering

Hi guys, keen to get a grasp on what's happening in this photo. Obviously I was confused when I thought my biggest loph graft was flowering. First loph flower I would have seen in real life ever... After the buds appeared and while still waiting for the now inch long pod to open it rained. Then when I had a look today, the longest of the three pods had started to decompose. Blaming my self for not having the sense to put it inside before the rain and cursing the skies. I put it on my desk, well girlfriend's desk (which is now becoming crowded with lophs, haha). I then decided that it would be a good idea to give the severely wilted "flower bud" a taste. Seeds! The last thing I expected. Maybe my grasp on flowering plants isn't that great but I had always thought that the cycle went flower then fruit and seed. Can some one help out please? Keen to find out why there would be fruit with no flower first or does that not matter.

Tasted pretty good and managed to save the seeds too. So I'm stoked even with no flower was just a little excited i think.

Cheers guys

post-7874-0-68529000-1306229475_thumb.jp

post-7874-0-24882000-1306229628_thumb.jp

post-7874-0-68529000-1306229475_thumb.jpg

post-7874-0-24882000-1306229628_thumb.jpg

post-7874-0-68529000-1306229475_thumb.jpg

post-7874-0-24882000-1306229628_thumb.jpg

You must have missed the flower. How fucken sweet are the fruit tho?

They do taste fantastic actually, would be great in a salad. Like that idea actually loph salad ha. Yum! As for the flowering though i couldn't imaging how I possibly missed em'. Counting the one that I ate there are 4 in total. I check it every day so i don't think so. Just more confused now. Even if it only comes out at night there would surely be something pre or post flower. I was sent it 2 or 3 months ago unless it flowers before it belonged to me?

U inherited the loph recently, it flowered before u had it and now the fruit are coming through. I've had lophs take a very long time to form fruit from flower. Infact I still have flower remnants on sum plants well over a year old. I would not be surprised at all if a fruit pushes out of them eventually.

He he... Cheers Watertrade

My first lot of seeds from it are going strong with white tufts coming out the top now and pereskiopsis should be arriving this week. Cant wait to have a go at grafting for the first time. Hopefully one day in the future i will have a loph graft as big as this girl that I grew from seed.

Thanx everyone for the help was unsure of how long it would have taken from flower to fruit. I think now Im getting the picture.

I still have no idea but if there is fruit then their must have been flowers... I think. The only person who could tell us if it was flowering before I got it is Watertrade though with the amount of specimens he has I doubt he would know exactly which flowered and when. I think you must be right though, can their be any other explanation? Will a loph under any circumstance fruit without flowering dose anybody have anymore personal experience?

well, if you had of cared for that loph foir years, then u would know it hasn't flowered. I assumed u inherited it as u hadn't seen if flower and it had multiple fruit, which means u missed multiple flowers or it flowered before u started your care for it.

Peace

Naja

U inherited the loph recently, it flowered before u had it and now the fruit are coming through. I've had lophs take a very long time to form fruit from flower. Infact I still have flower remnants on sum plants well over a year old. I would not be surprised at all if a fruit pushes out of them eventually.

http://lophophora.blogspot.com/2008/10/how-soon-after-your-lophophora-flowers.html

So a more precise answer to the question above is that you can expect your Lophophora williamsii plant to set fruits within 7-8 weeks after pollination. At least that is the case for a grafted plant in good growth.

The flower remnants that stick around tend to be cases of fruits that did not set seed and thus never develop.

Not all loph plants are self fertile (autogamous)

yah, but it's getting cold here now. But ur prob right as normally when a flower wilts I can see a fruit set down deep in the fluff, it will go pink eventually and push on up. However I have had plants take far longer than 3 months to do this. But it is the exception rather than the rule.

You must have missed the flower. How fucken sweet are the fruit tho?

I want loph salad!

Nice work!!

Chef