The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
qualia

watering cuttings over winter

i have a couple of cuttings i planted about a month ago, they haven't properly rooted yet (i don't think, one of the pots spilled the other week and there was no visible root growth), what sort of watering strategy should i adopt over winter? they're inside (next to a window) so will get no natural rain, would be ok continue as i am now watering about once a week?

i think this maybe too much for an indoor cactus that is not rooted.

However, i don't have much experience with indoor cacti growing or rooting.

Stop watering altogether. They will survive until they have grown roots and then you can start watering in the warmer weather, when it will be useful.

• Like 1

Nice thread. I am a serial over warterer! Mostly because my little courtyard is a hot box and my other plants require alot of water.

I had some cuts goin and i was bringing them inside @ night as its getting cold and been abit of rain lately, I turn the heater on @ night and it dryed my pots out no worrys and they even formed roots ultra quick,mind you they get pretty warm inside at night with the heater going, so much so i think i cooked some cacti seeds i had in humidty dome on a heat pad as they havnt risen yet! ive now returned the cuts outside for winter in a hothouse,with nice dry pots and small roots for the winter, i think the vic winter is about to kick in, so i would lay off with the water and start drying cacti out, I have no choice as winter here is super eskimo like!

Also i will probably try and root more cuts with this heater inside method all thru winter, im confident it will work....

Edited by applesnail

Hi Qualia, i never water cacti during the winter. Not even the seedlings. The german winter gets very cold (down to minus 20 degree celsius) and i take em all in a dark room in my cellar where i leave em till April. No care no water. However i do spray a few seedlings from time to time when i think they could need it but i doubt they´d need it. With cacti, you can do way more damage by overwatering than doing the opposite. As soon as its warm, i give as much water as they are able to take. Sometimes during the hot season, i even water twice a day. And this treatment is also very suitable for bringing the cuttings into growth. bye Eg

Hi Qualia, i never water cacti during the winter. Not even the seedlings. The german winter gets very cold (down to minus 20 degree celsius) and i take em all in a dark room in my cellar where i leave em till April. No care no water. However i do spray a few seedlings from time to time when i think they could need it but i doubt they´d need it. With cacti, you can do way more damage by overwatering than doing the opposite. As soon as its warm, i give as much water as they are able to take. Sometimes during the hot season, i even water twice a day. And this treatment is also very suitable for bringing the cuttings into growth. bye Eg

dark room in my cellar

lol

thanks for replies,

i got the soil direct from the cactus shop in the markets, it dries out ultra quick, quite great actually,

i'm just a little concerned for them drying out too much cos it's going to be basically cold now until september or so,

any WA folk care to way in rooting cacti over winter (or now)

any WA folk care to way in rooting cacti over winter (or now)

With the weather we are having at the moment I am still watering twice a week.

I would still plant cuts if they are well calloused just place them some where warm not in direct sun but early morning sun should be fine.

I would just make sure I had a place to put them to keep them out of the rain just in case we do get some this winter.

Cheers

Got

thanks fella!

still water daily, but only water from the top with a spray bottle :bootyshake:

i have a couple of cuttings i planted about a month ago,

why plant them before they have roots?

It makes it much easier to wait to plant them until roots are showing, this makes watering them far easier.

what sort of watering strategy should i adopt over winter? they're inside (next to a window) so will get no natural rain, would be ok continue as i am now watering about once a week?

There is no benefit or reason for watering plants that have not developed roots, but there is a risk of rot.