The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Zen Peddler

Rhodiola rosea

What is the maximum safe dose from personal experience? I read very different opinions on this.

From memory, I was taking self capped powdered root of about 2 x 600 mg three times a day, with no negative effects. But I wasn't taking it for long. I really should give it another go, but it was such a pain in the backside to cap it, it is very sticky. By the end of it my fingers looked like I'd been trimming buds for a week.

sorry if this is not helpful specific to your question, but i found rhodiola had pretty strong negative side effects with low dopamine/serotonin (irritability/aggression)... I assume it's due to some effect of nor-epinephrine (GNC extract equiv to 6.something grams I believe)...once I got the D&S up, it was all good again

Interesting - was that long term or short term? Ive found it pretty mild but quite nice thus far. On my second day - dosage 600mgs last two days. Went well with some beers the other night (using it to deal with work-related stress - from a job i dont even like LOL).

From memory (some time ago) I was using about a half gram a day (250mg bd) of standardised extract (3% rosavins 1% salidroside) and noticed no effects mood wise over several weeks. Doses in some commercial capsules are around 100mg twice a day but I'd personally have no issue pushing that substantially higher - to a gram or so - not that one should expect better results by using higher doses. Wikipedia seems to state things along similar lines.

My personal opinion is that it holds promise for prevention of stress-induced pathologies if used prior to illness - making the most of it as an adaptogen - but like most pharmaceuticals, once illness arises (major depression, anxiety etc) it can be very difficult to effectively control.

Use for a person with any history of (or suspected) mood disorders (particularly bipolar etc) might warrant extended caution with the dose.

Check out page 201 of the following paper for some studies (and other interesting, albeit heavy, information throughout the article)

Effects of Adaptogens on the Central Nervous System and the Molecular Mechanisms Associated with Their StressProtective Activity

If you don't mind me asking, is there any reason for asking how high a dose can be consumed? Are you chasing acute euphoric action or simply a superior therapeutic action? Like I said earlier, I'm doubtful that higher doses are more effective... it's more likely that side effects combined with a lack of beneficial effects will predominate due to the nature of the action of rhodiola.

Anyway, if you do push the dose up, all the best - keen to know if you find it beneficial.

Edited by Alchemica
  • Like 1

I found a subtle effect on my mood similar to other serotonin increasing agents. Quite similar to Sceletium so far. Energy wise its been pretty impressive thus far.

As for dosage I tend to become pretty immune to things quickly but if upping the dose doesnt result in benefit then maybe I wont bother. I tend to overdo things after a few beers though :)

Edited by Zen Peddler BlueGreenie

I feel very achy and cold today - wonder if its related? Ill take some time off and see if its the herb or the flu.

turned out just to be a shocker of a flu going around - watch it, it attacked my boss's eyes. nasty neurological symtpoms