The Corroboree
nature healer

newbi cacti collection

Hello everyone,First time post,

:innocent_n: here is my cacti collection

post-9494-0-18910800-1304125928_thumb.jp

1.T.Brigdesii

1.T.Pachanoi

post-9494-0-06531200-1304125960_thumb.jppost-9494-0-11304900-1304126006_thumb.jppost-9494-0-22334700-1304126033_thumb.jppost-9494-0-95375200-1304126049_thumb.jp

Ive been reading up about the different strains of T.Brigdesii here in Australia. I'm wanting to know what strain if any . plant is 4 yrs old from seed, what seller told me; and is 32cm in height when i got it about 1 month ago, since then it has put on 1cm in height and has thickened out a bit. Is this one a slow grower, the spikes were cut of before it was posted, and dont seem to be very strong, seem dead or dried, it has grown 1 spike in the last couple of weeks, what can you tell me about its condition, and health . ive been feeding it once month with yates seaweed booster mixied with water, and always let it completely dry out between waterings, gets about4-5 hrs sun per day. in summer it will get 6-7 hrs sun per day.

Any advice/comments are appreciated.

Also any tips for getting rid of the scale on the Pachanoi. I was going to use a metal brush, and then dab with rubbing alchohol..

cheers :bootyshake:

post-9494-0-18910800-1304125928_thumb.jpg

post-9494-0-06531200-1304125960_thumb.jpg

post-9494-0-11304900-1304126006_thumb.jpg

post-9494-0-22334700-1304126033_thumb.jpg

post-9494-0-95375200-1304126049_thumb.jpg

post-9494-0-18910800-1304125928_thumb.jpg

post-9494-0-06531200-1304125960_thumb.jpg

post-9494-0-11304900-1304126006_thumb.jpg

post-9494-0-22334700-1304126033_thumb.jpg

post-9494-0-95375200-1304126049_thumb.jpg

The larger plant is Echinopsis scopulicola, i wouldn't go using a wire brush on it to remove the scale

A toothbrush or small scrubbing brush would be better

looks like scarring to me, definitely dont use a wire brush lol, welcome to the corroborie !

Maybe to cut scop's top and reroot it?

But it is better to do in warm time of the year.

Then it would be shorter but thicker.

They grow fast when are fed with fertilizer and have sufficient light to grow.

personally I wouldnt worry about the scaling too much, when Ive had black rot on my cacti, I just keep them apart from the others a little bit in the vague hope that it wont spread, and they have all come good again, but with a little scarring.

feeding your cacti seaweed fertilizer is well and good but they will really respond well to more nitrogen, so maybe if you use blood and bone or worm juice or something along those lines you will maybe see more results.

I like to leave my cacti to their own devices and they look awesome with only the original cut marks, and they pup where they want when they want.

Thats my two cents!

Maybe to cut scop's top and reroot it?

But it is better to do in warm time of the year.

Then it would be shorter but thicker.

They grow fast when are fed with fertilizer and have sufficient light to grow.

This is what i was thinking of doing

Scop and pach are not the same, if that's what you are implying?

But they are both similar in other respects? :shroomer:

personally I wouldnt worry about the scaling too much, when Ive had black rot on my cacti, I just keep them apart from the others a little bit in the vague hope that it wont spread, and they have all come good again, but with a little scarring.

feeding your cacti seaweed fertilizer is well and good but they will really respond well to more nitrogen, so maybe if you use blood and bone or worm juice or something along those lines you will maybe see more results.

I like to leave my cacti to their own devices and they look awesome with only the original cut marks, and they pup where they want when they want.

Thats my two cents!

i might try blood and bone. I was going to add osmocote slow release pellets, nitrogen 16.6%

We love all Trichocereus, and as any decent parent will tell you - there are no favourite children. :)

As a rule of thumb, cactuses don't need as high a nitrogen ratio as other green leafy plants. And I can recommend blood and bone, as it's part of what I use. :)

More or less. But they are a separate species.

We love all Trichocereus, and as any decent parent will tell you - there are no favourite children. :)

As a rule of thumb, cactuses don't need as high a nitrogen ratio as other green leafy plants. And I can recommend blood and bone, as it's part of what I use. :)

so if that is so :unsure: how is a trichocerius compare to a loph :blush:

Edited by nature healer

... A special needs child needs more care than a more capable one? lol. The metaphor scope doesn't extend to this question.

so if that is so :unsure: how is a trichocerius compare to a loph :blush:

We say that there are no favourites... :lol:

mmm fertilizer :P

I'm using hydroponics fertilizer, with nitrogen mostly in nitrate form.

When i feed them (from time to time) they grow fast, when there is light they grow thicker, and twice fast.

Scops are good in ALL respects. (dont worry, be happy:)

Like T. bridgesii, but without spines.

"Scopulicola noted at 0.82% mescaline/dry weight" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echinopsis_scopulicola

"San Pedro contains a number of alkaloids, including the well-studied chemical mescaline (0.21 - 1.8%)" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echinopsis_pachanoi#Alkaloids