The Corroboree

Question

Fresh new growth on a pup from a beheaded columnar, which had a fat Tricho like body but the pups' ribs are much thinner

(they may fill out)... the flesh was very yellow when cut...

DSCN1157.jpg

:blush:

8 answers to this question

Well either way they are some cool looking almost luminescent red spines. None of my cacti have spines that bright. :drool2: Very nice...

some sort of cereus, i suppose ya knew that much though. I got no idea when it comes to cereus ID.

When i first acquired this plant i almost thought it was some kind of bridgey...check the body shape on the older growth.

I beheaded it because the tip was badly damaged , it took 2 years to pup again but the strangest thing about it was the bright yellow flesh exposed when i cut it...Ive never seen any cereus with similar flesh, but im sure there will be the word ''cereus'' somewhere in its' name if i ever find out what it is... maybe i'll google ''yellow fleshed columnar cactus'' ...

DSCN1175.jpg

DSCN1174.jpg

DSCN1176.jpg

doesn't look like a cereus to me, although the 1st pic made me think it is one, but the rest of the pics seems to be Trichocereus.

However, i such at IDing cacti :)

Interesting specimen.

It looks a lot like a young Neoraimondia to me.They start out with lots of quite long beautiful fiery spines that turn grey with age.

The mature branches often end up almost spineless but retain the prominent areoles.

it might be hybrid between two genera

Thanks guys!!! Going by the pics in that link it looks like it is a Neoraimondia herzogiana