The Corroboree
Jumpstarter

Spore Prints

Hello all,

I have done alot of searching within the forums here as well as elsewhere in regard to the importation of spore prints (for microscopy purposes of course) from places such as Spores101 and The Spore Works.

The importation of spore syringes is not what im after, and as described in multiple threads around, does not provide much, if any, benefit over a print for microscopy.

A few people have said they can get foil prints imported with no worries, but a few people isnt enough for me to put my trust upon.

If this can be cleared up it would be much appreciated, the species i am after are, P. Cubensis as well as oysters.

Also if someone can direct me in the way of a decent microscope with available camera attachment, Ebay has some Indian brand, however i am unable to find any reviews on these.

Regards,

JS

It's not legal to import them.

So if you order from overseas they may slip through, they may not. Who can say for sure how lucky or very unlucky you might be? Personally I wouldn't risk it. Spore prints come up for trade here now and then, just keep a look out and you might be able to source one locally.

Can't help with the microscope but I've heard the cheap ebay ones are all rubbish.

Edited by Alice

Spore prints are usually sent in regular envelopes, so its unlikely they will get confiscated. Iv never had a problem with getting prints (for microscopy purposes of course) into the country that way. By the way, Free Spore Ring Europe is pretty good, but its hard to give them anything back (which is the idea), as growing most of the species they have isnt legal here.

EDIT: sorry double post

and Alice made a good point - it is illegal to import them, but people still do. and also i wouldnt go for the cheap option when it comes to microscopes - good quality is important

Edited by poisonshroom

The ebay scopes used to be alright but they are hopeless now days.

prints get in often - but it is profoundly evil to do so... just evil...

Thanks for the replies, ill keep searching for a microscope.

And if anyone can help me out with some prints, id rather play it safe and source some within Australia.

Thanks again,

JS

I have bought 3 batches of cube prints from 'mrca shop' in austria over the last year. All clearly labelled 'Mushroom Research Centre' 'spore prints'.

First one, I received no issues. Second one, I received but it had been opened and inspected by customs BUT they still passed them on to me. Third one, again, I received no issues.

I've looked into the usb microscopes on ebay, is that what you're talking about? They are like $45, with 400x magnification which is fine for spores. You can take still shots with the included software.

Cheers,

Edited by einseins

My prints from spore101 was confiscated by quarantine, nothing to do with legality though, their concerns were about unidentified biological stuff.......

If you are after edibles we usually use cultures rather than spore prints.

I don't get it, maybe I'm paranoid but you are importing something which hopefully doesn't say on it what it is, but it definitely has your address on it. Pretty easy for the long arm to find you, or document your details for later.

I don't get it, maybe I'm paranoid but you are importing something which hopefully doesn't say on it what it is, but it definitely has your address on it. Pretty easy for the long arm to find you, or document your details for later.

well id rather not have that worry lingering overhead, maybe ill put a topic up in the seed/plant exchange first