The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
∂an

New Scientist: Psilocybin study

A well researched article in New Scientist regarding fMRI measurements made during psilocybin trips, although they went for a seemingly "negative" headline where it could have just as easily been "Psychedelic drug increases the expression of genes and signalling proteins associated with nerve growth and connectivity".

Psychedelic drug cuts brain blood flow and connections

The mention of psilocybin as a possible treatment for depression is especially interesting.

Edited by kalika

The link needs to be fixed. It has "http://www." twice.

Very interesting article. The ending is especially interesting. Wish they had expanded on the potential for resultant long-term neuroplasticity.

I once read an article that described increased blood flow and connectivity in positive experiences and the opposite in negative experiences.

The link needs to be fixed. It has "http://www." twice.

Very interesting article. The ending is especially interesting. Wish they had expanded on the potential for resultant long-term neuroplasticity.

Thanks, link fixed.

Yeah Franz Vollenweider's work is fascinating.

get_file.pdfHere's a recent paper from Vollenweider called "The neurobiology of psychedelic

drugs: implications for the treatment

of mood disorders"

Fascinating!

get_file.pdf

get_file.pdf

Interesting article indeed.. I actually know a guy who takes a sub-active (no pun intended) dose of psilos every morning because he believes them to be a natural antidepressant..

Interesting article indeed.. I actually know a guy who takes a sub-active (no pun intended) dose of psilos every morning because he believes them to be a natural antidepressant..

yeah I've heard stories of people taking small doses as a dietary supplement. It would be very interesting to monitor how ones neurochemistry and brain activity changes as a result of daily psilocybin doses. IME larger doses with a good few weeks in between is also an effective anti-depressent, the post-trip glow lasts at least a week.

once upon a time someone i am very close to used to take very small doses of psilos at night, as a mood regulator, they were said to not be active in any overt manner.

Small doses are purportedly effective in treating migraines and cluster headaches too.