The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Sola

Sacred Lotus (Nelumbo nucifera)

I did find some useful information regarding seed propagation already on the forum but was wondering if people

had successful germination with that method and if I could still do it this time of year or is it too cold.

So people know what method I'm talking about I'll do a basice re-cap; basically you create a hole in the seed coat

and place in water in 12 hours sunlight a day (preferably) and wait for several leaves and roots to form before

transplanting. Also it's good to change the water everyday.

Have people had success with this method? Is trying to grow this plant from seed done better another way?

I gather most propagation is done vegetatively but that isn't an option for me atm as I only have seed.

I'm planning on growing this species in a well-watered dam, are there any concerns for native frogs etc.

As there's no waterway nearby I don't think there'll be a problem with it spreading to areas where I don't

want it but if I should be aware of any other concerns I'd be greatful to hear them.

Any tips you may have regarding this plant would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Sola

it grows pretty easy as long as seed is viable sand the seed either with sandpaper or on concrete till you see the orange inside then soak in warm water if they dont swell to twice there size in 24 hours you need to sand the seed casing more, change the water daily and onces it has sprouted they grow rather quick then just plant the root system and away you go ive grown em in my fishtank, but the fish love to eat for some reason, they munch em pretty quick. which is a good thing as they grow quite large quickly under a fluoro fishtank light!Also i think they prefer clayish type of soil, but i have gravel in my tank!

Edited by applesnail

i havent gotten around to writing up a cultivation guide for Nelumbo sp. but I have some pics here showing how to germ them. from scarification to germination. I transplanted them to their first container right after the shoot began to emerge, but they take a little while before they will root themselves into the soil. quite easy though, but yea the water should be 65-75F. once they start to grow they enjoy a nutrient rich soil and water, cause they can grow at awesome rates.

http://entheopedia.org/?action=Photos&pid=73

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I think the seed should be viable, it is very fresh. It was growing only a couple of weeks/ days ago.

Also the dam where I'm planning on putting them once they've germinated as well as most of the surrounding soil is clay,

so no problems there. I don't have any fish but there could be a few Yabbies that might munch them.

I'm pretty sure the dam water is nutrient rich, it receives runoff from neighbouring farmland and natural vegetation.

Cheers guys

Sola

but yea the water should be 65-75F.

that's only 18 deg C to ~24 deg C which doesn't sound a lot to me, but you would know better than me... would higher temps speed up the process or harm the germing?

nice info!

i guess i should say at least 65-75

warmer will help, but warmer temps may also increase algal growth rates and other crap in the water, but if you change it 1x a day it wont matter that much but i just left mine out at room temp in the ambient light in the kitchen so that was the temps about when ive germed seeds and they usually crack and send out the sprout after 5-7days.

I think the seed should be viable, it is very fresh. It was growing only a couple of weeks/ days ago.

Time itself is not a problem with respect to lotus seed viability. The buggers have been known to last thousands of years, so stored dry and in the dark at room temperature these things will outlast generations of humans!

You could literally bequeath your collection of lotus seeds to your great-great-grandchildren, with no concern for the seeds' viability!

Abandoned

Edited by dworx

Yeah I collected the seed and could get some more. Shouldn't be a problem, there are heaps of seed heads.

PM me your details and we'll go from there.

Thanks for the info again, I'll put them in as soon as possible. Don't know how many more warm days I'm going to get.

It'll be a rush to plant all the different seed I've currently got before the weather gets too cold for germination.

Sola, for the lotus just wait until the warm weather returns. You won't gain anything by trying to germinate them in the cold season, unless you have good artificial light and heat available, and you could in fact lose a lot of the seeds instead.

They'll shoot up quick enough come next spring/summer.

Alright thanks for that, I'll have to wait until later in the year. Might try one just to see if it'll germinate atm.

Cheers

Sola, you will have no hassles germinating the seed - it's when it gets bit bigger and needs to go outside that you'll have issues.

It really depends on what your winter temperatures are. In many areas lotus are fine over winter, but a young seedling is a different story. Germinating in spring gives you the chance to grow it over all of summer before having to deal with cooler weather, at which time the plant might die back to the underwater rhizomes, waiting for the next growing season.

Yeah, I see what you mean. It would be better to give it the best chance by giving it maximum warm weather growing time.

I'm super keen to get these babies going but may have to hold back my enthusiasm over winter.

Probably the best strategy. In the end you won't gain any advantage (in terms of final growth) by early sowing, unless you have kick-arse hot winters or a super hothouse with halogens.

Edited by WoodDragon

Unfortunately I don't have either, I'll definitely wait for the hot weather.

Also I'll have to get more seed heads as the one I got only had about a dozen in it.

Shouldn't be a problem just letting the people know who want seed as it'll take a little longer.

Hey Sola, just curious , what color flowers are they?

^ The reason i ask about the color is that i have read that Nelumbo nucifera has flowers ranging in hues of white to hot pink. I recently saw a red form for sale and the seller said it was rare. If you can grow them in SA, then i am sure they would grow in Melbourne, though i don't know that i have a body of water big enough..

I'm really not sure, the parent plants are white and pink but as seed grown are different genes I won't

know until they've got big enough and had flowers. Will let you know though.