The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
kadakuda

Leonotis sp.

Question

I got these seeds from a nice man in the Philippines as supposed Leonotis leonurus. I grew them up at home away from my other Leonotis sp. so i can get good seeds. they stated growing like L. nepetifolia but always slightly different. thicker and fuzzier feeling leaves and a MUCH stronger smell than my other nepetifolia plants. I figured maybe the environment (my other plants are all in greenhouse). But now they are flowering and have fuzzy flowers, all other Leonotis i grow hve smooth flowers.

what do you think?

gallery_3354_394_17624.jpg

gallery_3354_394_981.jpg

gallery_3354_394_7099.jpg

gallery_3354_394_17563.jpg

gallery_3354_394_222.jpg

8 answers to this question

Looks like L. nepetifolia.

All of the Leonotis flowers I have seen have been fuzzy like that. Apart from one plant that looked like it had seen too much rain.

When collecting flowers in bags or tins there is always a lot of orange powder at the bottom which I assume are the hairs.

I was thinking i may get a response like that, so i guess i should post my other ones to see for comparison.

Do you have any Leonotis plants with white flowers?

i have seeds, but have yet to get a sprout :( how about you?

Looks like L. nepetifolia.

All of the Leonotis flowers I have seen have been fuzzy like that. Apart from one plant that looked like it had seen too much rain.

When collecting flowers in bags or tins there is always a lot of orange powder at the bottom which I assume are the hairs.

Irie,

Agreed! Same here!

Respect,

Z

Only grown L. nepetifolia, but it looks identical to the ones I grew.

AHAH! I knew i wasnt going crazy, this has been bugging me for a long time!!! If anyone is interested check out this paper describing 2 sub-species of L. nepetifolia.

Some Critical Notes on Leonotis nepetifolia (L.) R. Br. var. africana (P.Beauv.) J.K. Morton (Lamiaceae).pdf

Some Critical Notes on Leonotis nepetifolia (L.) R. Br. var. africana (P.Beauv.) J.K. Morton (Lamiaceae).pdf

Irie,

Nice article! Thanks!

I'll check mine in the morning!

Respect,

Z