The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
nabraxas

Why Pot Smokers Are Paranoid

One thing I never liked about the weed scene was always how tight and greedy smokers were. they'd always finish the bowla nd preoccupied in making sure they had enough even if that meant they had to be tight with wanting friends and visitors.

That's just a case of greedy people I believe. Greedy people are greedy with pretty much everything.

Surely you met at least one stoner who was always willing to share?

Really?

In panic attacks there is a documented increase in cerebral serotonin turnover (that is reuptake), an increase in central sympathetic nervous system outflow, a reduction in norepinephrine reuptake in the cardio-vascular system and a decrease in cerebral norepinephrine.

Therefore I am confused how elevated cerebral serotonin and norepinephrine levels could in any way result in low serotonin, high reuptake and other physiological substrate that normally accompanies a panic attack or panic disorder in general.

If that is a panic attack im all for it. In my case it was about as far from a panic attack as one could get.

"An MDMA overdose is characterized by: high blood pressure, faintness, panic attacks, and, in more severe cases, loss of consciousness, seizures, and a drastic rise in body temperature. MDMA overdoses can be fatal, as they may result in heart failure or extreme heat stroke".

It's all over the net. But who's to say it is correct. An extreme panic attack was my overdose response. But who's to say I even took MDMA. I have already stated that I won't pretend to understand the nuerochemical effects of an mdma overdose as my understanding of neuroscience is limited to that of the practical psychonaught.

In your case, what effects did you get from mdma overdose?

It was like being in heaven while my body gave way in various ways but i didnt care. It was awesome - things were too intense but I loved that fact and I loved everybody. Ferret was there at the time. My BP may ahve been high but i couldnt care less at the time.

So for me it was about as far away from a panic attack as I could get. For me the panicky feeling of a high shrooms dose hits the nail on the head of opposites.

We are all wired differently though but If there is a heaven for me it will involved the old x.

But I doubt biochemically that any medical evidence could associate a panic state with high serotonin levels. Low serotonin or increased serotonin turnover with high norepinephrine is your classic panic substrate and MDMA does the opposite.

And as for just being greedy people. I dont buy that. Met MANY stoners in my 34 years, met many trippers, met many drinkers, met many of all sorts of people and the stoners were always the tight ones. Im sure it comes from the insecurity of a stoner high. You've got be able to realise that what you get from something may be the exception rather than the norm.

Edited by Zen Peddler BlueGreenie
  • Like 1

its funny you mention the tight thing..............back just outta high school our stoner mate used to charge us minimum $5 to go anywhere in his sigma, fuel would have been 60cents a litre too haha, we used to go back to his house too and the most we would get a dried packet of 2 minute noodles, i could go on and on....the time i owed him 50c and he collected years later, he revelled in his stingyness whilst bent...so i do think being bent and being stingy go hand in hand, yet deep down he was a nice guy and every now and again he would suprise with small gifts of his inner generousity.

so i think bent people become a lot more protective with their generousity but when it comes through its gold, which can only be compared with pissed people i suppose.

pissed people are heaps more generous initially.................but it tends to be purposeless, it only seems to celebrate hedonistic type tendancys so in comparison i find even though pissed people the frequency is more common to give....its a rather meaningless give, the person often does it out of compulsion, recklessness or bravado, for example the ol shouting people a drink after winning a horse race type mentality............to me that doesnt stack up on lifes true measure of spirit and give, its just a token of reverse stroking of ones ego.

• Like 2

who stole me fucken' beer?

:) The people which piss me off the most are the ones who never buy their own cigarettes. You know the ones I'm talking about? :BANGHEAD2:

:scratchhead:

don't scratch your head dude!

have you not seen me saying how I believe trip reports mean nothing without knowing some basic background of the reporter. Here it's rahli reporting a part of his history .

I like it when people open up and speak about what they are like and so, it's brave and cool, I like honesty, I always liked. And it give another quality in understanding where they come from in future conversations and so.

PS: Why doesn't anyone say that it's different for the occasional indulger, who usually never or rarely buys for himself, and a habitual one, a daily one? Dose and frequency is important and what we're mostly talking about is daily abusive use.

You wanna believe pot cannot cause paranoia?

pick a number of random people and expose them to pot, eventually leading to a daily pot smoking. And keep this for say, 2-3 months. At the end of the experiment, several of them will have freaked out. Both the neurotic and psychotic predisposed ones will show symptoms that resemble paranoid symptoms, most will feel negative about them.

Clearly, the ones that have been smoking for lots of years [like 10] daily have 'passed the test' and are somewhat more safe from others to abuse pot. And I still have no sign that a 'healthy' , poised, stable mind can flip out from pot overuse- excepting of course the common side-effects of pot abuse.

but paranoid symptoms??? fuck yeah, pot can cause'em. Why one feels these symptoms??? well that's a personal story EVERY TIME

EDIT: Ok you said it all above. did not read all the posts. Paranoid symptoms are a bit widerange. what about panick attacks. We all know smokers that quit it because they were getting them?

And sure, all kinds of drugs can cause paranoid symptoms, stimulants, psychedelics, you name it

Edited by mutant

e 's pretty cool if u get the real stuff

:)

its is the shizel - god's gift to mankind via some chemist smarter than myself.

Paranoid symptoms are a bit widerange. what about panick attacks. We all know smokers that quit it because they were getting them?

My own theory is that pot as do the psychedelics tend to bring up things from the subconcious.

If a person has things they don't wish to face then this can be most unpleasant.

Heres something you can put in your pipe and smoke. From a PDF about medical marijuana.

Patients also need medicine that is free of pesticides, which are sometimes used in growing operations.

Pesticides are used to kill mites that thrive on and kill indoor plants, because the mites don’t face any insect

predators. Exposure to these chemicals can be harmful to patients; they are toxic at high levels and can be

harmful even at lower doses. Even outdoor plants can be exposed to pesticides. “Levels of these compounds

can range from zero to massive, depending on cultivation practices,” says Dr. Pate. “Some of these

compounds might potentially produce acute symptoms, but probably the greatest danger occurs with chronic

exposure. Insidiously, the consumer will normally be completely unaware of this exposure until symptoms

manifest. Hence, detection of potential chemical contamination is of paramount importance.”

Smoking is an excellent way to dose yourself on said chemmies.

As for the rest of the thread...

Marijuana is a very special plant. Probably the worst thing that can happen to a chronic user is that

they will never appreciate that fact.

My own theory is that pot as do the psychedelics tend to bring up things from the subconcious.

If a person has things they don't wish to face then this can be most unpleasant.

True. But this is also true [more true in my experience] for psychedelics of any kind.

and it's also true that weed will cause a variety of negative symptoms to certain individuals, even body symptoms, even in not so often use.

But it would unfair to deny pot is linked with paranoid symptoms, which it is.

But it would unfair to deny pot is linked with paranoid symptoms, which it is.

So pot is linked with paranoid symptoms and so are the psychedelics yet I see no real problem with either.

What mechanisms are involved in both these cases is bound to be complex. Studies must really appreciate the full complexity of the subject matter and refrain from rushing to hasty conclusions. Those having an axe to grind will no doubt ignore this basic precaution and are sure to produce flawed studies with false conclusions.

Things need to be kept in perspective in terms of degree, numbers involved and nature of the problem. The conclusion that pot or some other substance is bad in general simply because some people occasionally experience episodes of paranoia is of course rediculously premature without a deeper understanding.

On the subject of the mentally ill, some people should not take pot but these same people in many cases should avoid the use of a whole host of substances even legal ones.

Edited by Mycot