The Corroboree
PD.

P. semilanceata hunt

I have been talking with a few members about going on a hunt for P. semilanceata for some time now, sexy Mt buffalo being the location for this. Although we hadnt planned anything as such but agreed that end of march/early april be the time we go for a look see the main person who was interested in this has had to decline due to work commitments and so forth. Im just wondering if there is anyone that would be keen on going for a hunt as 2 or 3 more ppl would make it easier to cover more ground in the search for these elusive lil buggers. Perhaps a one day gig on a saturday or go for saturday and sunday to be sure to be sure.

I know where the published find was up there even though the lodge it was found near is no longer there and i think that this year we would have the best chance to find it as previous years it has been too dry. By the time it has gotten even slightly wet it is very cold and in the depths of winter which usually means snow on the mountain and in around the parts i believe are the areas the semis be found.

I reckon going for 2 days hunt would be best and we could either stay down near the mountain over night or trek it back to my place (bout 1hr drive). Also it would be best if this search took place within the next few weeks as temps drop fast up the hills, could even make it a one day hunt on the mountain and one day hunt up in wheelbarrow country to see if the cow dung psilocybe is fruiting. I dont mind what goes on really, just keen for a good hunt on the mountain.

SO, whos keen for a bit of ground staring????? Regardless i will be heading up the mountain maybe this weekend to suss things out as like i said, if any year, this one is the go.

One of two type collections were from Mount Buffalo - the other being from Dinner plain. Apparently they fruit up at Mount Buffalo just about every year.

Would you guys mind sharing some more info about these, or posting some links to info on them. (or I could just google it)

By complete coincidence I'll be staying pretty much at the foot of Buffalo this easter with family. I hope to get out most mornings for a few hours and have a scrounge around.

There are type specimens of semilanceata in the Vic Botanical gardens and some of these are also collected in a university herbarium. Locations of finds are limited to tasmania, Mount Buffalo, Dinner Plain and reported in gardens in Melbourne although this is an old collection and doubtful. As was the collection of strictipes.

I am very keen to go on a hunt. been talking about it for too many years to not have a crack this year, like ya say PD it's gotta be the best conditions to find them.

when were you thinking? i think i could probably do it either the weekend of the 9th or the 16th.

maybe mr blue greenie can give me a lift up there, whaddaya say?

Get in the car lads.

Any weekend is good for me.

The mushroom grows solitarily or in groups on the ground, typically in fields and pastures. It is often found in fields that have been fertilized with sheep or cow dung, although it does not typically grow directly on the dung. The mushroom is also associated with sedges in moist areas of fields,[21] and it is thought to live on the decaying root remains.[33][34]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psilocybe_semilanceata

happy hunting.

sounds like a plan although we want to make sure the weather around the time before contains a cold snap.

I've already been for a look here in tas.

no luck as yet. but hopefully that same location will come good in the next few weeks.

will post pics, when i find.

Hope your successful with your mission.

Cheers, Obtuse.