The Corroboree
Farmer88

QLD Cube season

After years of reliable hunting, this year I have not found one cube and very few of the usual non-actives. Wondering if it's just my area?

Let's face it it has been a different season, floods and I suspect way cooler ground temperatures. What has been the experience of others in SE QLD/Nth NSW ?

I dont really go hunting any more but I agree that from the roads I have seen next to nothing in the usual spoots.

Usualy going off around here this time of year.,

Dude its been a friggin mushroom circus in SEQLD... We utilized our same old spots and found an abundance. The rain and sun rain and sun has done them good. SWIM thinks that the slightly cooling weather may start to limit them soon. Just been finding them REALLY clumped up rather than spread out all over the paddocks... Like SWIM finds none for an hour then finds 2 plastic bags full within 10M square.

SWIM has suggested anyone on the Gold Coast who is hunting send me a message to pass on and maybe SWIM n yourself can go for a hunt. The spot SWIM uses is around 1km x 2.5km of cleared paddock in a small valley which is protected from sight on all sides, all you need to listen for is choppers and motorbikes. He says it is the most amazing experience not to have to stress about people coming.

From the amount of birds nest shrooms and mycena coming up around my yard i would have to say for SURE there are some around, these are my indicators and they are going berko... I know that a lot more young cowboys know about some spots this year and they may have improperly harvested them killing some off... SWIM is thinking of going for a look in the next couple of days as he hasn't for over a month so let me know if you want to join him.

Thanks for the offer, might take you up on a field trip one day, have some relatives there about. I'm a few hours north of you. I have the pleasure of hunting on my place...normally. But seriously the conditions are just different this year. Still hoping for a late flush and I don't need a lot to get me through the year.

Dude its been a friggin mushroom circus in SEQLD... We utilized our same old spots and found an abundance. The rain and sun rain and sun has done them good. SWIM thinks that the slightly cooling weather may start to limit them soon. Just been finding them REALLY clumped up rather than spread out all over the paddocks... Like SWIM finds none for an hour then finds 2 plastic bags full within 10M square.

SWIM has suggested anyone on the Gold Coast who is hunting send me a message to pass on and maybe SWIM n yourself can go for a hunt. The spot SWIM uses is around 1km x 2.5km of cleared paddock in a small valley which is protected from sight on all sides, all you need to listen for is choppers and motorbikes. He says it is the most amazing experience not to have to stress about people coming.

From the amount of birds nest shrooms and mycena coming up around my yard i would have to say for SURE there are some around, these are my indicators and they are going berko... I know that a lot more young cowboys know about some spots this year and they may have improperly harvested them killing some off... SWIM is thinking of going for a look in the next couple of days as he hasn't for over a month so let me know if you want to join him.

I have seen none at all this season - the last I saw were in the middle of last Winter just north Kyogle... Quite strange to say the least...

There were plenty around Bellingen around new year's.

Fate, went for a stroll this morning not looking for shrooms, saw something about 15m on the neighbors side. Shimmied under the electric fence to score 6 meanies, probably about a gram dried. I should complain more.:P Going hunting tomorrow.

.:P Going hunting tomorrow.

Well found some cubes, but the effort confirms the season is different. They are out there but not in big numbers. Have a feeling that they might have a brief flush before it cools more.. The day length is shortening noticeably from one day to the next.

Well found some cubes, but the effort confirms the season is different. They are out there but not in big numbers. Have a feeling that they might have a brief flush before it cools more.. The day length is shortening noticeably from one day to the next.

It wasnt quite the best season compared to years past, i used to find them in clusters and in abundance, one field would be enough to give me 5 big glad bags for microscopy purposes, and thats a shitload of studying! This year has been kinda different, been hoppin through fields like a grasshopper finding them scattered all over, but not in their usual volume, maybe the mushi gods hate me, or maybe theyve just had enough of my microscope!

the paddocks I pass by from time-to-time have produced some cubes this spring/summer, but not as many as last year. the torrential rain probably drowned alot of the mycelium that had formed in the run into summer, with the occassional well sheltered cow pie producing any fruits.

I would say you have just had bad luck with location and timing. its really fascinating to see how these fungi respond the changing climate through the seasons. depending on geography and the type of vegetation in the area different fields will fruit at different times, IME.

After years of reliable hunting, this year I have not found one cube and very few of the usual non-actives. Wondering if it's just my area?

Let's face it it has been a different season, floods and I suspect way cooler ground temperatures. What has been the experience of others in SE QLD/Nth NSW ?