The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Rabelais

'Herbal highs' not legal - Methcathinone

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/latest/8936249/herbal-highs-not-legal/

A confessed drug dealer from Hobart's eastern shore has received a suspended jail sentence and a $10,000 fine.

Mitchell John Campbell, 23, of Howrah pleaded guilty to trafficking methylcathinone in 2009.

He was charged after police became aware pills called "israelis" were being sold in Hobart.

They intercepted parcels labelled as bath salts that Campbell was receiving from China and upon searching his bedroom discovered unfilled capsules, a pill capping machine and a quantity of the drug.

Justice Shan Tennent said Campbell was lured into trafficking methylcathinone by a company in Shanghai, after searching the internet for "herbal highs".

But she said even after he realised the drug was illegal he continued selling it.

She took into account Campbell's young age and full-time employment in suspending his six month jail sentence.

Edited by Dale Cooper

who writes this proganderous crap "herbal" shouldn't have even made it into that article there's nothing herbal about it what are we going to start calling every PEA type substance a herbal high as well

$10,000 debt and a criminal conviction for selling drugs at 23. Poor bastard. This is the only real problem I have with penalties regarding illegal drugs. Too many people have had their lives ruined by these types of convictions. Too many young people. For what? All been said before but it really gets to me when I see young people caught up in these kinds of situations.

• Like 1

$10,000 debt and a criminal conviction for selling drugs at 23. Poor bastard. This is the only real problem I have with penalties regarding illegal drugs. Too many people have had their lives ruined by these types of convictions. Too many young people. For what? All been said before but it really gets to me when I see young people caught up in these kinds of situations.

I don't actually feel sorry for him hed madde a calculated decsion to take a risk by not just selling but importing the raw materials and making the pills taking adbvantage of others for profit .... My assumption would be he has been passing them of as MDxx and thats whats lead to him attarcting the initial attention ...... Yes it was a stupid decision and it will probably affect him for the rest of his life and the choice he made was created by our current ineffective system but still he would jhave been well awarte of the risks in what he was doing

I just posted a comment about what a herendously bad example of Journalism serving a government agenda this is ......surprise surprise its been taken down .............my cmment ..not the offending article oh well i guess as long as you can censor your critics seems you can dribble whatever crap you choose

I realise this guy was selling drugs for profit and probably selling them as "pills" or "pingas" or what ever the fuck they call them these days. I just hate seeing people get serious criminal convictions for drug related offences. Especially young people. That’s all, I suppose my comment is a bit redundant

I agree about the herbal reference being in the head line but I think it might have been alluding to the defence this guy put up in court i.e. “I thought they were just legal herbal extracts your honour”.

I just posted a comment about what a herendously bad example of Journalism serving a government agenda this is ......surprise surprise its been taken down .............my cmment ..not the offending article oh well i guess as long as you can censor your critics seems you can dribble whatever crap you choose

Do you mean the yahoo comments? That's fucked mate, I can't see any comment at all on that site.

I realise this guy was selling drugs for profit and probably selling them as "pills" or "pingas" or what ever the fuck they call them these days. I just hate seeing people get serious criminal convictions for drug related offences. Especially young people. That’s all, I suppose my comment is a bit redundant

I agree about the herbal reference being in the head line but I think it might have been alluding to the defence this guy put up in court i.e. “I thought they were just legal herbal extracts your honour”.

Do you mean the yahoo comments? That's fucked mate, I can't see any comment at all on that site.

yeah buddy yahoo comment s :(

yeah I agree the end result really sucks but then i kind of think even in an enviroment where these things were legal such activity is very self serving if he sold as M-Cat not under another name I probably wouldn't have so many issues however I have major issues with adultrated or mislabelled substances as they increase the risk to users 10fold

^^^Don't get me started on dodgy pills (are there any other kind these days?)

I, like I'm sure many others can't stand the way the term "ecstasy tablet" has gone from meaning MDMA to any kind of crudely pressed tablet which can contain anything. That was a real shame and danger for young people. Someone I used to work with would run into pressed tablets a few years ago with a high enough dose of PMA or something similar that could have easily killed people, especially kids who might have double dumped em.

Some of the "ecstasy tablets" should not even be call illegal recreational drugs and the people making them should probably be charged with something like intent to cause GBH by distributing toxic chemicals in disguise of illegal drugs. Maybe that does happen? I don't think they should be charged as drug dealers.

Only 6 months is pretty light.

That's some good news I feel.

Of course though, non violent offenders shouldn't get any time.

^^^Don't get me started on dodgy pills (are there any other kind these days?)

I, like I'm sure many others can't stand the way the term "ecstasy tablet" has gone from meaning MDMA to any kind of crudely pressed tablet which can contain anything. That was a real shame and danger for young people. Someone I used to work with would run into pressed tablets a few years ago with a high enough dose of PMA or something similar that could have easily killed people, especially kids who might have double dumped em.

Some of the "ecstasy tablets" should not even be call illegal recreational drugs and the people making them should probably be charged with something like intent to cause GBH by distributing toxic chemicals in disguise of illegal drugs. Maybe that does happen? I don't think they should be charged as drug dealers.

The direct result of the 'crackdown' on the psuedo is most pills are now noxious substances rather than relatively benign MDMA. Such a pity. And dangerous...

Edited by Zen Peddler BlueGreenie