The Corroboree
mutant

Contam?

P1010573.jpg

this looks like healthy myc

P1010571.jpg

this seems like it developed on the cardboard. at first I thought white myc turnt blue as I sprayed to wet the surface which had been drying up. But when looking closer, this is rather a contamination?

What should I do??

Actually on a second look it may just be blue myce after some kinda stress. Do you have a close up pic?

That's trich man - Mycologists enemy No1

I'd try to rescue the clean healthy myc and start a new box. It may not be possible to dig around the infected part though so you might have to pick it up with a plastic bag like you'd pick up dogshit ie put you hand in the bag and fold the bag down over the trich and scoop it up. If you disturb trich when it is sporulating you'll get billions of spores all over you and the area it's in.

That looks like parts of the trich are mature so be very careful. Do it outside so you don't get spores everywhere and wash yourself and your clothes before handling the new clean woodchips.

If it's possible try to keep it in a cool area as trich goes berserk in warm temps.

Temps much higher than 27 or there abouts are great conditions for trich but it can strike at lower temps too.

Treat it a bit like an agar culture and just keep removing clean bits and starting new cultures to isolate clean mycelium.

I'd be trying to get a sample on agar too to preserve the culture and clean it up.

Definatgely trich.

Unfortunately by the time they spore, their mycelium has already spread. Trich spreads extremely fast in it's ideal conditions. Remove a generous area around the spores, do it outside like MagicDirt suggested. The spores are very spikey and can and will stick to clothing which can then carry the spores and contaminate further projects.

The bottom left of the first pic looks like trich, and in the second pic it's absolutely everywhere.

:(

It may be a good option to leave it outside, trich outside it's so rampant because it has to deal with it's own predators, also it's not a fan of free air exchange it prefers to grow in a rich carbon dioxide based atmosphere.

I'd agree with moving it outside,

when mycelium naturalises it develops pretty decent protection against

aggressive contamination.

I'd suggest accepting the contamination and starting an outdoor patch.. probably too contaminated to save it as clean culture without

massive amounts of energy spent transferring it.

Still it's usable substrate!

I hope you're wrong for the bottom left in the first picture cause I can't see anything.

Also, this fucker seems to have mostly hit a remaining cardboard piece, and not much wood. The photo seems dramatic, but it's only in one spot.

does this trich is also a fungus with a white mycelium?

Tranfering it outside doesn't sound so bad as well as removing most of the contam and attempting an outdoor patch... but it's still pretty cold here

so much with my unsterilized lazy tek :BANGHEAD2:

Edited by mutant

I hope you're wrong for the bottom left in the first picture cause I can't see anything.

Also, this fucker seems to have mostly hit a remaining cardboard piece, and not much wood. The photo seems dramatic, but it's only in one spot.

Tranfering it outside doesn't sound so bad as well as removing most of the contam and attempting an outdoor patch... but it's still pretty cold here

i wouldnt worry to much man just stick it outside the mycelium looks pretty hardy in there

so a lil bit of green mould wont do fuckall just get it out of the box

leave the box outside for a while and it will be all good

i've seen this stuff alot it grows quickly

but also dies easily so you wont have much trouble getting rid of it

if your attempting an outdoor patch it will be fine if your really worried you can always

just get some of the good mycelium out and transfer it to some new chips

good luck :)

Trich grows rampant as a white fluffy myclemium. It spreads far and fast and just before it sporulates it reminds me of clumping icing sugar.

By the time you see the green spores it's already spread a fair way, the trick is to catch it before it sporulates but only experience will help you determine if it's good or bas mycelium.

Wood loving mycelium is very rhizomophic

i wouldnt worry to much man just stick it outside the mycelium looks pretty hardy in there

so a lil bit of green mould wont do fuckall just get it out of the box

leave the box outside for a while and it will be all good

i've seen this stuff alot it grows quickly

but also dies easily so you wont have much trouble getting rid of it

if your attempting an outdoor patch it will be fine if your really worried you can always

just get some of the good mycelium out and transfer it to some new chips

good luck :)

it's cold outside? maybe I should leave uncoveredfor a bit?

I already cleaned it and poured some new chips on exposed myc.

butwhat magicdirt al;arms me too, as what I took as psilo myc could be also trich

can you describe a bit more the differences of myceliums?

it's cold outside? maybe I should leave uncoveredfor a bit?

I already cleaned it and poured some new chips on exposed myc.

butwhat magicdirt al;arms me too, as what I took as psilo myc could be also trich

can you describe a bit more the differences of myceliums?

well im no expert but wat i can see in your first pic looks to be the good stuff

very rhizomorphic with all the stringy looking bits goin everywhere thats what you want

It's ok mate! We let you make all the mistakes first cause its fun to read about them.....So the old "unsterilized lazy tek" can be scratched off my listtongue.gif

lol

yeah I like sharing too. Not many people post about failures or post photos during experiments

this having been said, I did not fail yet!

plus this fucker fruited on the paper, so that maybe meant I shouldn't leave that on the surface

Edited by mutant

The mycelium in the first photo is mushroom mycelium, the mycelium in the second photo is mould mycelium. Often that specific green mould does not pose great problems if there is sufficient airflow.

Woodshaving which have not been treated and are left in open air are likely to contaminate. Wood chips are less susceptible, though can still easily contaminate. Sufficient airflow is important.

none of the wood material where treated. actually they were taken from the woods, they were pretty fresh woodchips though

I just uncovered it . I might leave for a day or two uncovered

Edited by mutant