The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
clarence

n rustica

Hi, I know of a n-rustica plant that is on its fourth year and going strong. I thought these were annuals? Has anyone heard of such an old tobacco plant before?

cheers.

yeah they can go that long and longer i got a 5 year old tobacco plant but the thing is they, loose potency and grow smaller leaves. it can be done

Every Nicotiana I've ever grown proved to be a perennial.

The myth of them being annuals comes from north america and europe where people tend to call anything that cant withstand prolonged freezing temps an 'annual' regardless of reality- for instance tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, morning glories, etc. are all perennials.

My rule of thumb is to accept any listing of perennial status as probably true, and any listing of annual status as mildly suspicious. If you see something finish making a crop of seed and it keeps growing more its a perennial.

Edited by Auxin

awwww I thought I had a longevity record. What is the record for the longest lived nicotiana? if such a record exists.

So how about Daturas? They are stated as being annuals...

Dont have any experience with nicotina spp, but my datura tends to die back after a year (i live in the tropics). If it doesnt completely die it gets weak and prone to pests (more so than usual - the bugs love them). i usually pull them out at that point

My N.rustica's died after a prolonged period off flowering, but daturas sometimes live pretty longer

interesting

didn't know tomatoes can go on.

Well supposedly the industrial agriculture determinate varieties do die after one season regardless of climate, the more traditional (and useful at home) indeterminate types are short lived perennials. I'm not into tomatoes so I've never tested that.

I've seen Daturas grow on and on.

Mostly in the wild tho, their supporting habitat changes too dramatically.

Theyve lived year round in pots, but an eager enthusiast put them back in the sun too soon :BANGHEAD2: