The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

Harmala as anti-depressent?

i think broad beans (fava) have a fair bit of l-dopa but nowhere near the 7% that i've read for the potent mucuna species

torsten, do you know what variety it is, the seed color & if it has very nasty seedpod stingers?

should be interesting once you harvest some..

the root juice is supposed to be strong too

[ 20. April 2005, 09:12: Message edited by: coin ]

I just harvested some leaves to try as a smoke. beans are next. thanks for the root info - will try and get that too.

quote:

I think the combo of MAO-A inhibitors and tryptophan is the most effective and immediate antidepressant and is terribly undervalued due to its diminished profitability.

Thanks for the information. I do intend to look further into this.

quote:

most of the useful remedies are one-by-one coming under the control of those who supposedly provide so-called "health care"

There are many who are unhappy with the degree of regulation of even natural and complementary medicines. Some time ago, I actually had trouble buying St John's Wort, which has been classed as a weed in Australia, eventually finding a supplier in Queensland.

quote:

While not an MAO-I Ive read Sceletium is a good Anti-depressant.

Sceletium - Kougoed - A natural mood elevator

Sceletium tortuosum is a small groundcover plant native to Southern Africa. For hundreds of years the Hottentots of Southern Africa used Sceletium tortuosum as a mood enhancer, relaxant and empathogen. It is also known as Kanna or Kauwgoed, Kougoed and Canna.

Chemistry and Pharmacology

The mood-elevating action of sceletium is caused by a number of alkaloids including mesembrine, mesembrenol and tortuosamine which interact with the brain's dopamine and serotonin receptors. Mesembrine is a major alkaloid present in Sceletium. Mesembrine has been demonstrated to be a potent serotonin-uptake inhibitor.

This receptor-specific activity, and receptor activities also found on nicotinic, dopamine and nor-adrenaline sites certainly validate the traditional mood-elevating uses, and suggest additional therapeutic and wellness potential.

Thanks for the link. Sounds like an interesting plant.

Originally posted by khanes:

Thanks for the link. Sounds like an interesting plant.

It's so interesting that a Japanese pharma co has a patent on its use as an antidepressant.