The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

Some questions on solubility.

Hi all, some questions my Merck index doesn't cover.

I notice that bufotenine is not soluble in naptha. However N-N,DMT is.

My question:

1. Is 5-MEO-DMT soluble in naptha?

2. Is calcium hydroxide soluble in naptha?

This is all theoretical, I forgot to order my lime paste from T and have no naptha :P

If I were to soak a plant material, say A. colubrina or P. arundinacea in naptha, then remove the plant material and let the naptha evaporate, I'd probably be left with a residue that contained at least DMT (and 5-meo-dmt if it's soluble in naptha!) but less (or no) bad stuff!

But it wouldn't be in freebase form. Which is a shame.

So what if I were to freebase it beforehand? Crush plant material, mix 2:1 ratio plant material:lime, let it sit and freebase for a few days. Then soak the whole lot in naptha, remove plant material,

decant lime, then let naptha evaporate?

Would that result in a freebase residue possibly containing nothing but 5-MEO-DMT and DMT? If so, isn't that a much simpler extraction method than the acid/base?

Would such a freebase need to be turned into a salt, or could it be smoked as is?

If you see what I mean (and I'm not just a nutbag) it means you'd only need naptha, lime paste and plant material to get a freebase DMT/5-MEO-DMT smokable resin type deal. Rather than the a/b extraction which requires many more chemicals and would take much longer!

Also, no bufotenine makes it into the extract, and if 5-MEO-DMT isn't naptha soluble, you could use this method to get pure N-N,DMT (although you'd need more plant material).

dmt is really only suluble in hot naptha/shellite, but not in cold. it is used for recrystallising dmt this way.

isn't bufotenine a little more polar and hence a little less soluble in natha?

calcium hydroxide would not be soluble in naptha to any significant degree. and even if, it could be washed out wiht a single wash of water.

free bases of most alkaloids are water soluble to some degree, but if you give them a choice between water and non polar solvent they will choose the non polar solvent. a friend of mine thinks a normal A/B extract would work well onn these seeds but might need nore nonpolar added then normal because seeds contain more fat. i think the yeild would be groovy. the merek index seems sweet where do i find it???

quote:

isn't bufotenine a little more polar and hence a little less soluble in natha?

i could be wrong, have been drinkning, but i think bufotenine is a the most polar of the non-polar solvents.

im sure i wrote that right

EDIT-yes, im sure of it. your right T :P

[ 02. April 2005, 13:23: Message edited by: Amulte ]

lol now it could be cos im not drunk but that doesnt make sense amulte, bufotenine a non polar solvent????