The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
dogbane26

Can Duboisia hopwoodii be propagated via cuttings?

I am wondering if anyone knows if Duboisia hopwoodii can be propagated vegetatively by using rooting hormone powder and planting in soil?

If it doesnt work I guess then I wont have a live plant anymore. The top of my plant where all the leaves were located looked wilted the other day. I watered it and it still didn't recover.

I think it is wilted because of a fungus that may be growing on the stem near the base of the plant. I am not sure what kind of fungus it may be but it looks yellowish to greyish and occurs in spots.

The cuttings i took from the main stem and right below the part where the leaves were. I dont think the fungus got on that part of the stem. The cuttings looked green still.

Should i keep the unrooted cuttings out of direct sunlight such as maybe have them in a windowsill so they get some sun?

Could this be a native species of fungi that attacks Solanaceae plants growing in Florida?

This might be of some help. It's an interesting read in the very least.

Edit:

This might be of some help as well. Seems to indicate that successfully striking cuttings is unlikely...

Edited by tripsis

any pics?

mine wilted as the humidity became too high. ie the humidity caused a fungal problem, which reduces root hairs, which reduces ability to keep up water supply. keeping very dry might help, fungicide might help too. if the conditions improve then it may reshoot from the base.

any pics?

mine wilted as the humidity became too high. ie the humidity caused a fungal problem, which reduces root hairs, which reduces ability to keep up water supply. keeping very dry might help, fungicide might help too. if the conditions improve then it may reshoot from the base.

I could try and take a pic but its hard to see the stem very close since it isn't that big. I recently noticed a bunch of black spots. I am guessing it is conidia or spores?

Whatever it is I grow other Solanaceae and haven't had a problem with them. I started my D. hopwoodii as seeds so if it is a pathogenic fungus it probably occurs around here in North central florida and may be specific to certain kinds of Solanaceae. I am growing Cestrum nocturnum which is in the same subfamily as D. hopwoodii but havent noticed anything on my Cestrum plants.

Torsten do you know if you will be selling Yohimbe plants this year? The two you gave me last year died. I got 1 to survive for awhile and it leafed out well from the cuttings u sent me, but i killed it with this neem oil spray because insects such as red spider mites were a problem once the summer started here in Florida. It probably was insect free but i sprayed all my plants anyways as a precaution.

yohimbe plants should be available now or very soon. need to check the webstore.