The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
shortly

Using Tyvec as a filter patch

I have just successfully welded some Tyvec to a polypropylene bag, no not a proper patch yet, just a soild strip weld. But i now know it can be done.

Does anyone know how large a patch, or indeed if i should use multiple layers

on a bag 500mm X 240mm X 125ishmm

man Ive been looking at doing this very thing and if you pull it off well it would be good for us all. Get some slaves and have a little bag making operation:)

I found a roller impulse sealer that would work I reckon but it would be slow and tedious.

with tyvek dunno I always use 2 layers with my jars, just because I can

size? if I was putting one on a bag like that I would go 40mm? just because I can;)

On layer should be suffcient, but two layers will give you extra security. Not sure about the size, maybe 4cm2?

hmmm 4cm2 thats only 2cm X 2cm, would that really be big enough??

Or do you mean 40mm X 40mm?

I used an impulse sealer, i got 2 commercial units off ebay for $20 (only bidder) 1 is in good nick & 1 for parts, so the junk one has been "reconfigured" epoxy curing as i speak.

The trick seems to be to sandwich the Tyvec between 2 layers of PP, crank the juice to the element & cook both sides.

Sorry, I meant 16cm2, or somewhere around that mark.

Just buy some mycobags yo! It'll save you lots of hassle. Filterdiscs are also well wikkid.

Yeah well we wont go into what happened there :BANGHEAD2:

regardless, i wont be in a position to order more Myco bags until Feb. So i'm just going to have to work with what i have on hand.

I've set up the elements to weld a 60mm X 45mm rectangle, the tricky bit will be where the element crosses itself.

We'll see how the weld go's tomorrow i guess, the real test will come next month when i can inoculate a bag or two.

i like it. I was thinking hard along those lines. Knock up a couple of bags in a pinch or at least do enough for yourself.

Did you know there is a patent out on the spawn bag making machine thingy bob? wonder how much they cost? would be good to have one in Aus. There is definitely a market for it

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5662576.html

Edited by lickapop

Yeah well we wont go into what happened there :BANGHEAD2:

regardless, i wont be in a position to order more Myco bags until Feb. So i'm just going to have to work with what i have on hand.

I've set up the elements to weld a 60mm X 45mm rectangle, the tricky bit will be where the element crosses itself.

We'll see how the weld go's tomorrow i guess, the real test will come next month when i can inoculate a bag or two.

Why don't you use jars instead?

Jars are great, man. If you want to fruit then spawn the grain to coir or something. This is a great and very simple tek http://www.shroomery.org/10858/How-to-do-Coir

Go to Bunnings and get yourself a white plastic bucket and lid from the storage section. It'll cost you about $10 for the bucket. Go to the garden section and get a brick of coir which is about $2.50. Get yourself some vermiculite if you don't have any. Small bags are kinda pricey and if you go to a hydroponics shop then you'll be able to get a massive bag for about $40 or so. This will last for a long time.

If you don't want to make a monotub then you can use the above tek to make trays. Buy yourself some lasagna trays from Woolies or something. You can also use dark plastic trays if you have some in your kitchen. Then what you do is make a thin layer of your coir/verm mix on the bottom, then you sprinkle a layer of grain. Repeat the process until you reach the top of the dish and then cover it with aluminium foil. Poke about 6 holes in the foil and leave them in a dark place for about two weeks and once the mycelium has covered the top then you can put them into a fruiting chamber.

You could always try using oven bags too.

Edited by migraineur

Nah, it won't. Shiitake doesn't like coir and this is confirmed by the mycologist Marc Keith. You'll need to find some good hardwood substrates for shiitake. If you have any mills or anything near you then you should be able to get some bags of hardwood sawdust. Make sure you know exactly what's in the sawdust because you don't want to end up with a mixture that will mess up your attempt.

I just find jars somewhat fiddly for fruiting, besides, apart from some jars i have ear marked for another project i'm runnig a tad low at present.

I'd better get onto the neighbours to eat more tomato paste :P

And my boss wont let me have the 2L pickle jars, apparently she has dibbs on them

I'm using a small version of the punkins grow room rather than a monotub.

And i was kinda planning on using the bags for some of the slower species, so that they can slowly plug away in sterile conditions until they are ready to fruit.

You can also use some micropore tape to secure the tyvek to the bags. Either that or cut out a 2.5cm x 2.5cm square from the bag and place a 5cm x 5cm micropore tape over for the FAE.

Majiks right with the tape, i use it for all my jars over the holes in the lid and it don't let any infections in.

I doubt it will last on the surface of a bag though, as we know it ain't flat, and they sure do get a rough and tumble life.

Good on ya for working on it Shortly, sure you'll come up with a pefectly good bag :worship:

WhatDidHappenWithTheMycobagsPunkin

I have been using the tape on some of my jars, ciggy filters on the others

Oh the bags, my fault :blush: long story

Bags all welded up :) now i just need to cook a few & then try to tear the filters off a couple & leave the others sealed to see if they contam.

Fingers crossed.

Edited by shortly

Micropore has worked great on bags. Just make sure the bags are polypropylene and not polyethylene.