The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Sola

Found in pine plantation

Question

Found some interesting mushrooms on a walk today. Still working through field guide and taking spore prints

but thought people might be interested as I've not seen these before. Would be great to confirm what they are.

One with brown gills looks as though it might be Agaricus but not sure which one. Different to the ones I had for dinner yesterday.

The yellowish mushrooms with pores instead of gills were growing in a gully where water collects, the white one was next to a stump,

the possible Agaricus was in a more open, drier location and the other small ones were everywhere.

Thanks

Sola

post-7432-129169208385_thumb.jpg

post-7432-129169211673_thumb.jpg

post-7432-129169215296_thumb.jpg

post-7432-129169218136_thumb.jpg

post-7432-129169220937_thumb.jpg

5 answers to this question

The ones with pores are a bolete of some sort, maybe a Suillus species. Was the top of the pileus glutinous? If not, then they a different genus within the Boletales.

The others it's difficult to say. You need to provide more information and better photos. Whether the lamellae are attached or not, substrate, size of various anatomical parts, texture, etc.

I'm with Tripsis. The pored one is almost certainly a Suillus luteus aka Slippery Jack. Been collecting those suckers with my folks since before I could walk. (My favourite use: dried and then crumbled into stews and soups for earthy flavour...) That said, your photos are a little dark and it's hard to see for sure, so beware... Also, it's very, very rare to see them this time of year in NSW; not sure about SA.

Thanks for the info and tips, I'm still getting used to the different parameters that I need to show for mushrooms to get good ID.

The yellow one I'm assuming is glutinous, as in sticky on the cap, so is likely what you both thought.

I've only got a field guide for gilled mushrooms so know very little about mushrooms with pores.

We're having tropical weather here atm, haven't been in weather like this since I was in Darwin or Far North Quennsland.

That may be why they are fruiting atm. I've still got the mushrooms intact so could take other photos but as my knowledge

and books on the topic are limited I'm not really sure exactly how to take them. I'll check the book I've got for the specific

terminology for the things you mentioned and try to post some better photos.

It's pouring with rain here so even with a light on inside and using the flash I couldn't get them any brighter but I'll try.

Cheers

Sola

As a guide for the sorts of features you're looking for (taken from the Shroomery):

Habitat:

Where does it grow? Eg. woods, pasture, state, province, country, altitude, etc. What does it grow on? Eg. soil, dung, wood (dead, living, what kind of wood?), etc.

Gills:

Color, attached/not, gills/pores, etc.

Stem:

Length, diameter, color, texture, hollow/solid, thin/thick, etc.

Cap:

Diameter, color, texture, conical/spherical, convex/concave, etc.

Spore print color:

Very important!

Bruising:

Color that the mushroom bruises, if any.

Other information:

Scent of the mushroom, anything else you think is important, large close-up pictures showing stem, cap and gills.

Rather than using the flash, take photos with long exposures. They'll come out much nicer.

That's awesome, thanks for that. I'll have to keep that in mind when I take photos for a post.

I checked the link for Sullius pluteus and I think that's definitely what it is. I didn't even realise it was edible.

One of the others I think is Agaricus.

Edited by Sola