The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

I'm 50/50 on germination heh.

Hey guys. I ordered my fortnightly seedset from SAB a couple of weeks ago (L. Diffusa, L. Williamsi, Datura Stramonium v. Tatula, Heimia, A. Nervosa, Ipomoea violacea).

So far I've followed the instructions on those little yellow bits of paper exactly. Both sets of lophs have sprouted, as have my heimia.

For some reason, none of the datura, hbwr or mg will sprout!

The datura is getting the same bottom heat as the lophs did when they sprouted, and they're both kept moist but not wet!

I nicked the seedcoat for the hbwr and soaked them for 24 hours before sowing.

Am I doing something wrong? I would've thought the Datura should sprout befoe the lophs at least!

Datura may need sun. They often don't germinate until they are discarded in a garden corner :rolleyes:

Most of our daturas grow a year or two after we chucked them. Just like poppies etc. But some should germinate straight away, especially if they are as fresh as our seed.

Woodrose will take 2-10 days to germinate even when nicked.

mine took longer than that i think... the woodrose

but they germinated eventually

did you notice if some of the seeds swelled up after soaking in water?

They actually looked pretty much exactly the same.

My gnome said not to worry, because he learnt the "viable" trick from a hippy, when you grow cannabis, best to soak them in water for 24 hours. The ones that don't sink aren't viable.

So he's used to soaking seeds and not seeing any size change ...so he told me not to worry!

Damn him. I still have 2 HBWR seeds left, maybe I will try putting them in separate pots and germing those too.

Thanks for the idea T, I'll leave the datura pots outside, 4-6 hours hotsun a day...

I might be wrong but I think Torsten meant the actual seeds need to be exposed to sunlight as in when the pod opens the seeds fall onto the ground are exposed to sun and then washed into their place by the next rains.

Crapcheese.

Do you think a windowsill will be adequate sun? How long should I leave 'em for?

Not sure..a few days maybe??

I try to emulate the natural cycle of the plant whenever I can but then again I've never had problems sprouting datura or MG regardless whereas others have :P

Weeds don't require too much attention in fact sometimes the opposite works better.Killing with kindness is something we've all fallen victim to

yep, that's what I meant. some seeds seem to need UV to germinate.

Sometimes, love gets in the way of life, never twixt the twween.

Edited by darcy