The Corroboree
synchromesh

Best ways to get rid of a cold?

Personally i wont rely on antibiotics or vaccines, when there isn't any you'll be fucked.....

I had a stubborn ass sinus infection a while back, had really blocked sinus cavities .It was really bad with headaches and pain , so i looked it up on wiki cos i don't go to doctors , haven't for 10 years :P I dont trust the conts , and found my saviour and it worked! So simple , I always liked ayurvedic practice but hadnt heard of this one '' NOSE DOUCHE''!!! ' lol

Nasal irrigation or nasal lavage or nose douche is the personal hygiene practice in which the nasal cavity is washed to flush out excess mucus and debris from the nose and sinuses. It has been practiced in India for centuries as one of the disciplines of yoga. Some clinical tests have shown that this practice is safe and beneficial with no significant side effects.[1][2] Nasal irrigation in a wider sense can also refer to the use of saline nasal spray or nebulizers to moisten the mucus membranes.

The saline solution irrigation promotes good nasal health, and patients with chronic sinusitis including symptoms of facial pain, headache, halitosis, cough, anterior rhinorrhea (watery discharge) and nasal congestion often find nasal irrigation to provide effective relief. In published studies, "daily hypertonic saline nasal irrigation improves sinus-related quality of life, decreases symptoms, and decreases medication use in patients with frequent sinusitis",[3] and irrigation is recommended as an "effective adjunctive treatment of chronic sinonasal symptoms".[4][5] The simplest technique is to snort water from cupped hands. Spraying the solution into the nostrils is more convenient, but also less effective.[citation needed] The most effective methods ensure that the liquid enters through one nostril and then either runs out of the other nostril or goes through the nasal cavity to the back of the throat from where it may be spat out.[citation needed] The necessary pressure comes from gravity, from squeezing a plastic bottle or a syringe, or from an electrical pump.[6]

Warm salt water solution is commonly used, often with sodium bicarbonate as a buffering agent. Optional additives include xylitol which is claimed to draw water into the sinus regions and helps displace bacteria. [7] This sugar alcohol has approximately 64% of the kilocalories of an equal mass of sucrose, but can still attract microorganisms, which, subsequently, cannot derive enough energy from the substance to flourish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_irrigation

Personally i wont rely on antibiotics or vaccines, when there isn't any you'll be fucked.....

I had a stubborn ass sinus infection

LOLZ

Yeah, I haven't used Antibiotics for 10+ years. I would if I really had too but i think doctors reach for them far too often. You may have your infection for longer but at least you let your body build a natural defense.

My all time favorite Cold Buster Remedy. This works a treat

Slice up Roughly

-2 whole Chili's

-A thumb nail size piece of Ginger

-4 or so cloves of garlic

Place all of them in a large cup of boiling water and leave for 20 mins. Filter (I use an old T shirt) and drink. Kinda just taste like a Hot Thai soup.

When I get a cold, which is very rare, this remedy clears me up quick smart

blowng - Somebody mentioned that earlier. It's a weird sensation isn't it? :)

Slybacon - Awesome. Thanks man.

Edited by synchromesh

Somebody mentioned that earlier. It's a weird sensation isn't it? :)

yeah , almost enjoyable :puke: , but now i realize why surfing or swimming in the ocean used to help clear out my sinus ... salt water is the bomb!

Edited by blowng

syncromesh, you understand that last post of mine was an attempt in bad taste humoar and nothing to do with ya, huh??? :)

one of the best non pharmaceutical suggestions on cold , especially if it gets you for good is:

*take Echinacea, as soon as possible. It's almost worthless 3-4 days after the onset for combating the pathogen. But it still bears anti-cough and cough/neck pain reliever qualities.

*drink Fresh juices rich in vitamin C

*stay warm and protected from breezes

*avoid getting too tired

*avoid smoking and drinking alcohol and in general consuming 'toxic' things. Eat fruit instead of eating sweets, decrease any smoking, especially if you're having cough symptoms. Smoking despite of the body telling you "no, no, don't smoke!!" will only prolong the duration of cough/sore neck symptoms, even if all other symptoms go away...

*cheer up

Colds and flu's are in general harmless. If they get you hard, think about changing your stance towards them. You can enhance the body's natural ability to fix itself by just believing in it [placebo].

Still, people on special risk groups or people that get very hard symptoms and high fevers, maybe should just stick to the doctors pharmaceuticals way....

Wow I'm surprised to see only 2 mentions of garlic. Slybacon's recipe is indeed a coldbusting remedy and a half, although I wouldn't boil it I'd eat the lot raw. Garlic needs to be raw and crushed to release the allicin, a broad spectrum antibiotic found in garlic. I usually crush up 5 cloves and put them on toast with olive oil to pad the stomach a little if I feel my glands are swollen or other symptoms of impending sickness.

LOLZ

Yeah, I haven't used Antibiotics for 10+ years. I would if I really had too but i think doctors reach for them far too often. You may have your infection for longer but at least you let your body build a natural defense.

My all time favorite Cold Buster Remedy. This works a treat

Slice up Roughly

-2 whole Chili's

-A thumb nail size piece of Ginger

-4 or so cloves of garlic

Place all of them in a large cup of boiling water and leave for 20 mins. Filter (I use an old T shirt) and drink. Kinda just taste like a Hot Thai soup.

When I get a cold, which is very rare, this remedy clears me up quick smart

syncromesh, you understand that last post of mine was an attempt in bad taste humoar and nothing to do with ya, huh??? :)

Yep. :wink:

Edited by synchromesh

Wow I'm surprised to see only 2 mentions of garlic. Slybacon's recipe is indeed a coldbusting remedy and a half, although I wouldn't boil it I'd eat the lot raw. Garlic needs to be raw and crushed to release the allicin, a broad spectrum antibiotic found in garlic. I usually crush up 5 cloves and put them on toast with olive oil to pad the stomach a little if I feel my glands are swollen or other symptoms of impending sickness.

You could probably make a tea out of the chili and ginger and then add finely sliced garlic at the end. I didn't realise Garlic had a broad spectrum anti biotic in it, thanks for that

www.allicinfacts.com/fallicin.htm

edited to say can't hyperlink as on mobile, but some interesting facts about garlic :)

Edited by meeka

I've found a heap of garlic at the first sign of the flu works a treat. I'm guessing the garlic slows the speed that the baddie reproduce giving the immune system time to produce the good guys to come to the party. I still sense the flu but the symptoms are next to nothing.

The sooner you apply the garlic jitsu, the better.

The chili for is good for cleaning out your head, plus it is super rich in vitamin C. I could be wrong but I thought I heard chili had the most Vitamin C of the fruit/veggie world. Ginger just seems the most appropriate peice to balance the taste and calm your belly.