The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Fractalhead

Indigenous Ipomoea muelleri usage report

I was flicking thru the condensed version of Bushfires & Bushtucker called 'Pocket Bushtucker' or something like that by Peter Latz and noticed that under Ipomoea muelleri, it mentioned the consumption of the roots by the Warlpiri and Anmatyerr people and more importantly: the seeds by the Warlpiri. I think this would be a good lead to chase up and find out what preparation methods were involved. If the seeds are roasted or soaked prior to consumption, this might rule out their use as an entheogen. Very interesting. Just how many gnomes have explored this species I wonder?

Is this a beach dwelling species Fractal?

Does anyone have info on Merremia dissecta, anotehr native convol? Seeds are very similar and shape to Arygeria nervosa, except grey with no fuzz.

Zu was handing out seeds of this... but haven't seen him around these parts for a while.

[ 27. February 2005, 20:17: Message edited by: creach ]

This species occurs in arid regions and has tested positive for ergot alkaloids (never seen a TLC though). I've heard of a few positive bioassays.

Yeah, I've collected M. dissecta in Cairns. Very woodrose like flower in terms of colour scheme. Can't remember any chemical data off hand but it would be worth looking at i'm guessing.

Muelerii occurs in seeral areas but is fairly common in the murchison area of WA

do a climate search on that area

grows well as an annual in perth and seeds heavily

Heres the data I got on file:

New sources of ergoline alkaloids withing the genus Ipomoea (Biochemical systematics and ecology, vol. 21, No. 4, page 455-462, 1993.

Ipomoea muelleri 0.011% (by fresh weight) ergoline alkaloids in seeds.

With tricolor at 0.023-0.117% and parasitica at 0.160% muelleri sounds like a less than ideal one for entheogenic uses

Irrelivant post

[ 05. March 2005, 09:26: Message edited by: Amulte ]

Yeah I've got that Harborne paper. I would take the reported concentrations with a pinch of salt given the instability of these compounds and the lack of any proper seed age control. Those muelleri seeds could have been quite old. I guess we coul contact the authors. Bioassay reports suggest a higher concentration comparable to woodrose.

Fractalhead:

Bioassay reports suggest a higher concentration comparable to woodrose.

Thats quite interesting, keep up on that man...

Ever come across bioassays for I. parasitica? The seeds are quite large and the reported alkaloid concentration is fairly high, but I've never heard of anyone trying them.

Fractalhead:

Yeah I've got that Harborne paper.

Bioassay reports suggest a higher concentration comparable to woodrose.

Very interesting.

Reminds me of this:

"I'm led to believe, however, that this variety is quite different from the garden varieties, in that Wasson claims that both ololiuhqui and tlitliltzen are taken in dosages of 7 to 21 seeds, and all the anecdotes ive heard about getting a buzz of heavenly blue or flying saucers speak of sucking down hundreds of the little buggers."

From http://www.erowid.org/plants/morning_glory...ory_info2.shtml

It seems that Argyreia Nervosa mightn't be the only Convolucacae that could have a high LSA concentration. Good work.

my I.muelleri plants seeded quite heavily about 4 weeks ago and i will post some bio-assay reports in the following weeks....

(my gnome isnt up for it but has plenty of keen impish and oafish friends)..

Any chance a few of those would come my way so I can add it to the garden?

I love Ipomoea spp. flowers, I've got plans to go out and get seeds off the Ipomoea indica and Ipomoea purpea we have around here.

yeah sure no problems,

although this is a tricky one to grow round these parts, and im not exactly sure what the flowers look like as i missd it flowering.. although i do know they are small...

pm me an addy and ill get some off when i can (2-3week period).

***E***

[/qb]Thats quite interesting, keep up on that man...

Ever come across bioassays for I. parasitica? The seeds are quite large and the reported alkaloid concentration is fairly high, but I've never heard of anyone trying them. [/QB]

Ever thought possible for the seeds to contain some other less friendly biochemicals?

brian:

quote:

Thats quite interesting, keep up on that man...

Ever come across bioassays for I. parasitica? The seeds are quite large and the reported alkaloid concentration is fairly high, but I've never heard of anyone trying them.

Ever thought possible for the seeds to contain some other less friendly biochemicals?Absolutely, lol... thats why I've been looking for bioassays for well over a year

(Reminder- when testing any unknown start at very low dosage and be mindful of any side-effects... and publish results :) )

I'm interested to see any results or bio-assays from this fascinating plant i. muelleri

[ 23. March 2005, 15:06: Message edited by: NatureBoy ]

i have noted that content appears minimal by comparison to HB, gnome bioessay still in writing.

I have apocryphal reports of activity occurring in I. hederaca.

Does this paper mention I. hederaca by any chance?

friendly:

I have apocryphal reports of activity occurring in I. hederaca.

Does this paper mention I. hederaca by any chance?

Indeed it does... it says in that study and a previous study there were no detectable amounts of ergoline alkaloids in the seeds.

yeah sorry about that, not many of the seeds and the lost the source. :( He went and got a bug up his arse becuase i thought he vanished on me. oo dont i deserve a beating for that! :P from one seed extract it was maybe 12% by comparison to the HB's. could get more detail with a TLC kit but they are two weeks off i read. sorry about that, not even half done!

[ 01. April 2005, 08:32: Message edited by: Amulte ]

How would you compare them to Ipomoea violacea?

If there's activity, that's interesting considering as it stands people only use violacea!

If you have some seeds left over, send 'em my way :D

Id still like to know whether either of the seed types was active.. as for the cacti it has already been confirmed.

peace

***E***

[ 31. March 2005, 18:42: Message edited by: min(E)rval ]