The Corroboree
taozen

Guatemalan Ethnobotanical Garden

Hi everyone! after almost 3 months in the plant-less city of Buenos Aires, the city of the adoration of the Ego, I'm back home. Couldn-'t take it without my babies. Anyway they were taken care of by my sister and the maid, and I'm really grateful. They have grown a bit and a lot!D I wanted to share some pics and as always, I have some questions too!

First the new member of the family. This coleus blumei I found 2 days ago growing for decoration at citi bank, they had tons and tons of them. I asked for a little plant and now it's home. It is coleus blumei right??? I'm 95% sure...

IMG_7531.jpg

This is the salvia that barely survived the journey and now Im wondering... Is it time to transplant this 3 triple salvia to a bigger pot?

IMG_7477.jpg

Kannas where not watered enough I think. Do they need more water or a bigger pot or both???

IMG_7480.jpg

Morning Glory Flowers!

IMG_7475.jpg

This is how the plant looks

IMG_7481.jpg

Hawaiian Baby Woodrose, the ants keep taking the leafs away, it's making growth slow I think. any way to keep the ants from taking the leafs?

IMG_7514.jpg

This are my almost 20 cactus, a mix of pachanoi, terschekii, bridgesii and 1 macrogonus and maybe one peruvianus. I will post close up pics next time around.

IMG_7528b.jpg

Syrian Rue Never got cured from the fungus, but to my surprise never died either. Even when the past few months have been very humid. Now I understand, the best thing is to let it get out of the pot and that increases airflow and decreases humidity coming from the soil!

IMG_7527.jpg

Rivea corymbosa, Ololiuqui, Semillas de la Virgen!

IMG_7518.jpg

Last but not least, the only Psychotria that came out of the 10 seeds! Very slow grower... but I like how it looks already!

IMG_7479.jpg

Edited by taozen

yep it's 'Coleus blumei', it looks a lot like the interesting one, the one I have and the one depicted on plants of the gods

you can consider bioessaying and reporting back.

Any pics of the native flora of Guatamala? what an awesome place to be!

As for the ants that you are having trouble with, you could try a smear of Vaseline on the stem of the plant and its support. If the ants are accessing the plant from the ground, maybe you could make a moat around the base by slicing a hose in 1/2 and joining it and adding water( as long as mosquitos are not an issue in your area). There is also a Teflon paint called 'Fluon' that insects cant get a grip on that you could apply to the base. Ants are pretty clever though, so if they want those leaves, they will continue to find ways to get at them. Happy gardening.

Edited by Amazonian

yep it's 'Coleus blumei', it looks a lot like the interesting one, the one I have and the one depicted on plants of the gods

you can consider bioessaying and reporting back.

yeah I couldnt believe it! not only does it look like the one depicted on Schultes' Hallucinogenic Plants: A Golden Guide, but also like the ones shown on Mckenna's singularity video! :D

Flora near where I live is not spectacular, but I could post a pic of the forest right in front of my house. I guess salvia, coleus, morning glory, rivea could be considered somehow native. I love the weather here though, best I've ever known.

As for the ants I'll try the vaseline trick, I have some sticky tape on it for now.

thanx all

Coleus is NOT native to the Americas, it was introduced some time in the recent past.

I do not believe it is psychoactive and if it is then the usage would likely be found in it's area of origin in Asia, not in Mexico.

nice photos of a very big variety, i like the viridis seedling pic the best,

as you can be realy proud of germinating a psychotria.

the plave looks incredible! :wub:

i would take cuttings a the salvia divinorum and plant some of them out.

i would plant out the sceletium, they are looking hungry for water and fertilizer, or repot with fresh good soil.

the same is with your cacti, they look starved to me, and all the potting mix looks like it has some type of moss growing on it at times.

looks like you got a very beautyfull place there,

and i mean architerture wise aswell.

How did you find Guatemala? Nice place - few too many guns for my liking but some AMAZING landscapes there and Costa Rica - volcanos and Atilan, Tikal etc. Weirdest thing one day in Flores there was a lightning bolt that struck when there was barely a cloud in the sky - more than 75% of the sky had no clouds. Fucking weird...

I do not believe it is psychoactive and if it is then the usage would likely be found in it's area of origin in Asia, not in Mexico.

yeah? on what grounds?

I say it is psychoactive, at least my strain, a mild psychoactive that is probably psychoactive in the way the most positive reports show it to be. It's becoming more evident in smoking mixes, it has dream shifting capabilities and in larger oral doses is said to resembe a mild psilocybin trip of a couple of hours. Ethnobotanical data show it might be used in the same way as Salvia, so a quid should be considered.

The psychedelic community , well most of the people, do not believe Coleus is active, but nobody so far really wanted to test my strain. I still offer that. I think taozens plant also looks interesting. Thanks for the McKenna video tip too!

you know, mild highs are mild, mckay?

how many people have tried to smoke leonotis flower or leaf? Did you get any noticeable effect? I would bet nope, neither did I. But you don't hear people saying leonotis is inactive , right?

sorry for the off topic, but I have long been a crusader for Coleus activity, even though I don't really use it.

nice photos of a very big variety, i like the viridis seedling pic the best,

as you can be realy proud of germinating a psychotria.

the plave looks incredible! :wub:

i would take cuttings a the salvia divinorum and plant some of them out.

i would plant out the sceletium, they are looking hungry for water and fertilizer, or repot with fresh good soil.

the same is with your cacti, they look starved to me, and all the potting mix looks like it has some type of moss growing on it at times.

looks like you got a very beautyfull place there,

and i mean architerture wise aswell.

Thanks man! I'll let the salvia grow a bit more maybe, or/and take a cutting. Sceletium does have poor soil, hadn't thought about that, I'll repot with fresh soil asap. I'm kind of scared of repotting the cacti, they seem to small and fragile to take a repoting, but I would agree now that you mention it. Let me know if you ever come here, nice place indeed.

How did you find Guatemala? Nice place - few too many guns for my liking but some AMAZING landscapes there and Costa Rica - volcanos and Atilan, Tikal etc. Weirdest thing one day in Flores there was a lightning bolt that struck when there was barely a cloud in the sky - more than 75% of the sky had no clouds. Fucking weird...

Yeah the guns suck almost as much as the massive socioeconomic gap, and drug traffiking that makes people use them, but I never see any of it, you can avoid all that if u are rich and know the city. I stay in my house most of the time though, have to remind myself to travel more!

yeah? on what grounds?

I say it is psychoactive, at least my strain, a mild psychoactive that is probably psychoactive in the way the most positive reports show it to be. It's becoming more evident in smoking mixes, it has dream shifting capabilities and in larger oral doses is said to resembe a mild psilocybin trip of a couple of hours. Ethnobotanical data show it might be used in the same way as Salvia, so a quid should be considered.

The psychedelic community , well most of the people, do not believe Coleus is active, but nobody so far really wanted to test my strain. I still offer that. I think taozens plant also looks interesting. Thanks for the McKenna video tip too!

you know, mild highs are mild, mckay?

how many people have tried to smoke leonotis flower or leaf? Did you get any noticeable effect? I would bet nope, neither did I. But you don't hear people saying leonotis is inactive , right?

sorry for the off topic, but I have long been a crusader for Coleus activity, even though I don't really use it.

I have no doubt it is psychoactive, the mazatecs are claimed to use it as a salvia substitute. I also doubt its as powerful altough I havent quided either. Plenty of reports out there:

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/subs/exp_Coleus.shtml

Fucken risky though despite how awesome it is outside - some great people there and some total low lives who have never felt the scrutiny of law enforcement...

A was going to say saying "risky" was too much but then again, I don't look australian, lol. Unfortunately, tourists here are easy targets indeed.

The Sceletium are over watered, by the fact of moss on the soil surface.

They hate root disturbance when potting up, so better that the plant is somewhat root bound before transplanting.

Please note that the browning of leaves and stems, as in your photos, is good and normal, and this is where the name Sceletium is derived from, as in skeleton.

My Sceletium soil mix is 50% commercial potting mix, 50% sand and a couple of handfuls of blood/bone per bag of potting mix.

The Sceletium are over watered, by the fact of moss on the soil surface.

i don't think you can over water sceletium, sure the can get root rot, but you might loose 2 plants out of 20 like this, which doesn't matter as sceletium is very easy to probagate.

moss on the surface of the soil might mean the potting mix has low drainage, and was to wet for a while, but the plants look poor, and watering them even less now will, not make them grow either.

you are best of, to take cuttings of the sceletium and start again with better potting mix.

struggling sceletium plant, will recover slow, if at all, faster to start new!