The Corroboree
mescalito

Sad news

Yep it was a shock yesterday when I went to take cuttings from a 40+ year old plant only to find a rather large empty space :blink:

I've been helping a mate clean up and set up a nice variety in trades....

Asked the father of the dude and he said "nah he's away,so I got the gardener to rip it up and dump it at the tip on Friday"

Man, so wrong :(

Yep it was a shock yesterday when I went to take cuttings from a 40+ year old plant only to find a rather large empty space :blink:

I've been helping a mate clean up and set up a nice variety in trades....

Asked the father of the dude and he said "nah he's away,so I got the gardener to rip it up and dump it at the tip on Friday"

Man, so wrong :(

That sucks. Lets just hope someone at the tip scored themselves the find of a lifetime.

dad wheres the cactus? DAAAAD???!!!!! :uzi::o

thats sad to hear dude! ive come across a few that people were destroying/chuckin out. when i find a large cactus i like to find out when there garden waste collection is then see if they chucked any out. scored about 10 meters of pach this way. cant belive people would chuck it out. gilligan and i went and collected peru/pach? from a wicked garden cause the ownwer is killing the garden to put up a shed :( so sad how much he already killed.

Yar,not feelin too well today(W/D pain on right side,head's on backwards!)but I think I'm gonna have to go out there and see if they'll let me go through the green-waste area...to me this is Sacrilege,such an old plant, tho I guess I'm lucky I still have the lineage and some others now too,so I'll be getting them going here anyway....just wanted to see this one shared out as she's a beauty.

The healthiest and uprights I was leaving to keep it tamed,she was falling all over the garden before my last clean up....nice new pups and healthy as.....then it's like finding your dog dead on the road.

Damn, that really sucks mate. I'd be getting down to the tip and digging for that sucka asap

:BANGHEAD2: stuck at home atm...it's 3:28,dump closes at 4...."DON'T PANIC!!!" (in my best Basil Fawlty voice lol)

I'll be posting in the trade section for the cuts I took earlier as I want this plant out there,she's a good hardy fat grower,by all accounts a bit bitter too.

Some members here already have some thank god.

COME ON MUM I GOTS TA get to the tip!!!!

..can't really strap Maya in the front seat of me ute. She's asleep too :wub:

Edit:Saved by the vibes thanks guys!!!

Rang the dump,asked the guy,he said he can see the pile and is going to put off the "push in" of this pile for me/us until after tomoz B)

Let ya's know how I go and there'll be fresh tips,cuts,pups available...the Wasp lives on :worship:

Edited by mescalito

I would cry if I came home to c a whole thicket removed! Is the tip going to charge you to remove it? Nice save,ill b checking the trade forums ;)

Won't cost me anything bar the fuel!,the guy was really understanding and helpful...and I just found out he used to work with my Partner's Dad.....magic happens :wink:

My partner's in love with the cacti around the place.She loves being amongst them and feels secure in their presence....she was as devastated as I was upon returning yesterday.

Ethno plant lovers,we're a strange bunch hey?

or is it them that are strange? :P

Lol not strange imo growing somthing that has the power to change how we think, tends to make most of us respect the plant,and enjoy its presence, even if we didn't eat it just knowing what it CAN do is.all the same, well for me anyway, I wonder if the bloke at the tip is aware of the powers of cacti, either way good on him for giving it back to u, hope ya get it all back nice and healthy

nice work mesc' if we were in scouts you would get the plant saver badge bro :P

Let me know if you're interested in sending across the pond. Happy you will be able to save her.

Edited by MagikF

nice work mesc' if we were in scouts you would get the plant saver badge bro :P

LOL I was a Cub then a Scout :lol:

Gettin ready to head out soon,picked up the little one this morning and twinged my back...it's caning me!!

I'm still saving her tho that's for sure...couldn't be harder than crossing the desert in search of the Deer :wink:

Best get moving!

Keep the fire burning for me :)

Well she got pushed in :(.....the bloke helped me find what was left and it wasn't overly pretty.We collected what we could and he bucketed it in to the back of the ute...man I dunno it's pretty sad considering how it was hacked at and what we managed to get, well this is probably around 1/4 of the original plant...

post-300-128650210465_thumb.jpg

post-300-128650214984_thumb.jpg

Hey I tried!..at least there's some I collected earlier this year though.I'll re-cut and callous the ones that aren't crash hot as the whether turned crap after I collected the lateral branches previous.

There are some nice fat cuts here still and some tips...I'll see what I can do with this one,she's in the sun atm and been cleaned up.

DSC01086.JPG

DSC01087.JPG

DSC01086.JPG

DSC01087.JPG

Good work man, not many people would have bothered to go to that much trouble to save it.

I read in a book called The Secret Life of Plants that there is a bond between the parent plant and it's offspring and the parent plant somehow gives some protection to it's offspring no matter how far away the two are. When the parent plant dies the offspring were said to lose that protective influence.

Maybe you've helped a lot more than just that one plant.

A lot of people seem to feel something for that plant - a lot more than some humans are mourned when they go to the ground, which is interesting.

It makes me think of something I saw on TV where an aboriginal elder referred to trees as "tree people".

Maybe he refer to cactus as cactus people.

I'm sure you'll get a few pieces to strike roots.

Good work, not the best pic but kinda looks like the yowie down this way,lol i fit nearly 10metres all up into an excell,

Awesome job on saving what you could. I'm sure it'll be returned in spades to you.

:o how could they? Good work mescalito ! you should be able to clean up some mids out of all that ...

I assume the guy who helped you at the tip is now in the know, you could leave him your number and tell him you'll give him a 6 pack or something when the right cactus comes in.

That way everyone wins :)

"The Secret Life of Plants" is such an interesting read ay?

I walked around the pile and kept sensing to "go left,go left,whoa!....they're in there!!", so that's where I asked the dude to pull back the coverage and sure enough!

I'm pretty sure the dude at the dump was just happy to be doing something different than the day-to-day council job he has LOL..who knows?

Sorry the pics aint that great,only had my phone accessible at the time.

She used to stand about 18 or so feet with MANY long branches and new pups since I trimmed her up bugger it....I knew I should've taken a few pics then but I was kind of distracted by the intense sting I received from a paper wasp..MAN that smarts and makes ya heart race!

I guess I couldn't stand the thought of her decaying in the dump and had to at least try.

The last cuts before the "Scrapheap Challenge" are a little shorter now as I re-cut some to make a clean callous,they're already starting to look better,the ones I trimmed before that are still not in soil yet,due to having to move and lots of other stuff but they're throwing pups.

They're just upright in foam wine holders but I'm planning on potting them today hopefully....bloody hardy buggers the ol Pedro!

Most of the damage was from the bucket pulling back other debris and trees off....she was literally bleeding red.

Anyhoo that was my Thursday!

Last night we got yelled at by the next door neighbour 'cause the Missus wand I were pumping out "Choose Life" at 1am through the Tannoi speakers LOL

Maya was fast asleep in the same room :lol:.....must suck getting old and cranky...hell he had already had my daily sleep quota :P....when we turned it down she woke up and started screaming.

Yep she's too much like me :wink:

oh man that's total bs, that guy is going to be pissed when he comes home! Love it how dads 'clean up' think i've lost 50 years off my life in stress the last few years cause of 'dads gardening protocol'.

My gardens have always been a "NO-GO" Gerbs, a certain sheep caused some grief tho once,ended up leaning against the wall for hours staring into well who knows?

Good work, not the best pic but kinda looks like the yowie down this way,lol i fit nearly 10metres all up into an excell,

That's a Challenge! :lol:..be like a penny-racer LOL

Lol, agreed, but what cactus loving person wouldn't stuff a small car with free cacti, was everywhere, on the plus side I found a use for those green supermarket bags I never seem to take shopping, can't wait for pups,I shall be sending out cuts ppl Interested :),