The Corroboree
solomon

Sealing cut tips

hey im having trouble with a couple tips which i've had to recut a couple times due to that horrible orange rot.

just wanted to know what methods others have used to help the ends dry better.

i read something about rubbing alcohol on some pdf from google.

cheers

i just leave the orange stuff alone and soon enough it will harden up. it might turn all manner of colours but so long as it's not gooey black just leave it alone. obviously make sure it is somewhere dry and has a bit of light. we are just coming out of winter so it shouldn't take long to callous over. during winter cuts are more susceptible to that orange stuff.

i think rubbing alcohol is for putting on your knife when you are making the cutting. that way you are making a clean cut that won't get infected.

try not to cut when humidety is high or worse it rains.

all you need is to look at a single cigarett paper, or rollie, as we call them here.

if the edge with the gum is curled up, than it's perfect wheather for cutting!

a rollie makes a perfect hydrometer!!

Edited by planthelper

nothing beats sulphur powder for sealing the cuts,its 100% foolproof in my experience,and it speeds up the calousing process too.

cheap as at your local garden center ( i got mine from palmers),the last bag i bought was a brand called "tui"in a yellow packet and they called it flowers of sulphur.one bag for $10 will lst you a year or two at least.

I cheat a little by hanging them in the indoor grow space i have which is very warm(250 watt metal halide) and airy (because of the fan) they dry in one day...

if you have the time you can just rub your finger around the cut area, It thins the liquid and allows it to dry quicker - sort of like increasing surface area! You will feel it change and become dryer and tehn you can just leave it, not so good if you have no time and many cuts, I have done it but usually do not. I just leave them in the shed to dry.

I just checked the weather where you are centipede and yous have a max of 14C brrrr....

you might want to have the heater near by.

Oddly enough I had to top one the other day as the black was working it's way down from the tip,I've tried spirulina powder to dry up,then brush off the excess to varying degrees of success BUT with this last fellar don't ask me why but I applied the same tech I use when I cut myself...saliva.

Guess what?

Completely healed and lookin good...maybe just coincidence but hey!

nothing beats sulphur powder for sealing the cuts,its 100% foolproof in my experience,and it speeds up the calousing process too.

cheap as at your local garden center ( i got mine from palmers),the last bag i bought was a brand called "tui"in a yellow packet and they called it flowers of sulphur.one bag for $10 will lst you a year or two at least.

Can you remember where you got it? I've got the same stuff an can't remember where I got it from - a mate wants to get some.

Ag stores should have it :-)

Can you remember where you got it? I've got the same stuff an can't remember where I got it from - a mate wants to get some.

hi bit,yep that brand is from the 'PALMERS" garden centers.