The Corroboree
Ethos

ID please

Question

Ok guys first of all this is my first post on the Corroboree boards (have been lurking for a while) so hello to all.

I have recently received seeds of various trichocereus species and lophophora to start my cacti collection.

Anyway today was walking past a house on my way to the bus stop and saw what looked to be a fairly large plantation of trichocereus cacti, i met the man who owns it and asked him if i could possibly take a cutting. he told me of course i could of any cacti i liked and he said all his cuttings that he takes he will put away for me to callous over.

well i ended up with this and was wondering on the actual ID not just my amateur guess, so help will be greatly appreciated.

(p.s. sorry for the bad mobile pics)

post-7855-128296238148_thumb.jpg

post-7855-128296239887_thumb.jpg

thanks ethen.

18 answers to this question

That'd be a Cereus i'd say...no experience with it myself though probably C. peruvianus?

You're mobile looks like it can take fairly good photos, you've just got the focus outta whack, nice remote control :P

and welcome aboard ethen :D

Edited by gerbil

yup, that be C peruvianus, which btw produces a red edible fruit.

i was unaware that T peruvianus could have such small spikes

and also any idea why the ribs are so thin?, just because its new growth maybe?

i also got this guy any ideas on what it is?

post-7855-128296491208_thumb.jpg

post-7855-128296496113_thumb.jpg

i was unaware that T peruvianus could have such small spikes

and also any idea why the ribs are so thin?, just because its new growth maybe?

its not a t, its a c...... cereus peruvianus non tricho

i assume you want to know if it is an active cacti, no its not

oh ok thanks dg420 and no i just wanted to know what it was didn't mind if it was active or not. got plenty of actives already and thankyou for the help.

and BT it def is i just don't know which one it is a bright pink to white color and also has 5 or so streaks of green through it the man i got it from said it was rare and his pride and joy so i will take care of them

cereus are still nice, produce pretty night flowers........a good place to start assuming your starting, you dont get a car licence first without getting p-plates, just a comment on cereus is it natural for very quick growth? i potted a 1 foot cereus segment roughly this time last year and it is now 3 foot and thats including dormant time of 3+ months to start rooting. is it normal or do i have supersoil?

and BT it def is i just don't know which one it is a bright pink to white color and also has 5 or so streaks of green through it the man i got it from said it was rare and his pride and joy so i will take care of them

its a variegated opuntia... i wantie!

Welcome

Cereus yeah, we got here a very common short spined oneone that is not peruvianus that looks a bit like this.

The Opuntioid, I don't think it'a variegated one, I think I've seen pickish opuntias before, a nice find, I'd love this plant too!

Ethen, Cereus genus is known for this trait, the ribs are rather thin and the main body is not so bloated, contrary to many trichocereus species, like pachanoi , scopulicola and bridgesii which when full watered and actively growing they can be pumped with water and their ribs can seem not so prominent.

The flowers of Cerei are equally beautiful witt any cereoid cactus and some produce edible fruits

Some Cerei are also good for grafting slower growing cacti

ps: second looks, it does look like a short spined form of C.peruvianus

Edited by mutant

thanks blowng and mutant it is variegated but the whole plant is and its streaks of green are very defined

the whole opuntia that he gave me the cutting from looked somewhat like this

post-7855-128304761397_thumb.jpg

but the pads are a predominately pink (where in this picture there are two shades of green picture the lighter shade being bright pink and the darker green streaks remain), the pads are also more elongated and each pad has so many tiny pups

and i will see him again soon and ask if i could get a couple more cuttings to send you guys

I suspect it get lots pinky when exposed to more direct sun.

but its just coming into spring here, his other opuntias look normal and this one was also under the shade of a tree

Opuntia monacantha variegata

:)

thanks moses that is definitely it,I will try and get cuttings for those interested

I got bunches of this plant...the variegated opuntia...will put up pics of it flowering, yellow flower with red stripes.......& it gets reddish-pinkish in full winter sun......fruits make delicious jams and are edible......loses most of the reddish coloration in summer months

post-3765-128314343289_thumb.jpg

Edited by zelly

I suspect it get lots pinky when exposed to more direct sun.

yeah a bit less sun and it will look more green / yellow