The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
san p

grafting ariocarpus

hi,im going to be grafting ario retusus plants soon,can someone advice me roughly where to cut on this one i have uploaded a pic of.

cheers

post-6263-128243636698_thumb.jpg

I've had good results cutting a millimeter or two below the collar. You should try to graft the root, too, members here have done so with lophs and gotten two grafts from one plant.

I would cut it just above the middle of the light brown (above ground) section.

Then as racketemenshe said either graft the bottom or callous it and plant. Can’t see why it wouldn't pup.

What are you grafting to?

Personally I wouldn't graft it at all, it looks way to mature to perform a graft. I'm not saying it won't work it most definitely will, I just think plants like this should be grown out. Graft seedlings less than 6 months old and they will grow rapidly and end up like your plant in no time. Own roots Ariocarpus are rare plants and need to be treated with respect, don't cut this one :)

HN

I agree with HelloNasty, too. And I actually think its easier to get ario seedlings to take to stock like pereskiopsis than it is to graft years old ones like this.

thanks for all the replys. im still pretty keen to graft a few as i have no shortage of them at the moment.

ive got a small pachanoi with multiple branches that im planning on grafting some turb's,astro's,ario's,lophs and obregonias all onto the one plant to make a frankencacti.

well if your keen...

cause arios hare tubercle plants, dont cut them too short ont he root or they may have too few flesh between the cut and where the tubercles come out, so when you graft htem they can break easy. i would graft here

scuze teh blurry pic, i am nto that steady just now.

ario-1.jpg

ive got a small pachanoi with multiple branches that im planning on grafting some turb's,astro's,ario's,lophs and obregonias all onto the one plant to make a frankencacti.

hooray!!!

that's the spirit.

I've been fantasizing about cacti trees and multi grafts for some time. Keep us updated , keep on grafting!

P1000773.jpg

P1000774.jpg

got 6/7 on those above, very glad about this, failed at one out of five of those on the selinicereus [M.leuthii]

PS: Sorry for the 'hijack', don't have much to say about ario grafts

Edited by mutant
  • Like 1

thanks kada,so do you mean on the top line of that box, or the center of it were it says cut here?

thanks mutant,yours and other members grafts have inspired me to get into grafting.

where it says cut here....cut there ;)

just realized i didnt take that photo lol....whoops.

but ya cut in the red and your good....below is ok too, but no point adding more root, and going up you run teh risk of it breaking apart when you put pressure on it...probably...you are teh only one who can really tell cause its in your hands.

Seedling fisuratus onto T. Bridgesii

post-6798-128602565639_thumb.jpg