The Corroboree
Ilovecacti

Is this Syrian Rue?

Question

I found this the other day growing out of my retaining wall and I thought it looked similar to pictures I've seen of Syrian Rue but I'm not too sure (it's still young and I'm still a noob to this), can anyone either confirm my hopes or crush my dreams into a small pile?

DSCN0804.jpg

DSCN0796.jpg

DSCN0800.jpg

DSCN0803.jpg

Looks more like the fennel/anise group to me

G'day Ilovecacti, I was thinking like carrot tops but as Auxin said fennel, I thought ,yeh, it looks like that. Break a small bit off, rub it between your fingers and have a smell. ( mind you i know nothing about Syrian Rue).

caraway maybe?

G'day Ilovecacti, I was thinking like carrot tops but as Auxin said fennel, I thought ,yeh, it looks like that. Break a small bit off, rub it between your fingers and have a smell. ( mind you i know nothing about Syrian Rue).

Thanks for the responses, I took your advice Amazonian and crushed a small bit but it didn't have any overpowering smell, actually kind of just smelled like cut grass, I've never grown fennel before so not sure if it has a distinctive smell but it definitely didn't smell like anise.

yes auxin and Amazonian. i did think that at first but i hate smashing peoples hopes so i just had too look but yes in the variety of pics ive now seen its probably not syrian rye.

Fennel smells of liquorice

Edited by The Deb-One-Amine

Would an immature fennel plant have no odor?

maybe so it is very young still and the colouring on the stem does look like the fennel ive seen it also can grow in a small shrub

yes auxin and Amazonian. i did think that at first but i hate smashing peoples hopes so i just had too look but yes in the variety of pics ive now seen its probably not syrian rye.

Fennel smells of liquorice

It's funny because I just got Peganum Harmala seeds from SAB in the mail two days ago, and I was out watering my vegie patch when i saw the little guy, and seeing as I've been researching Rue pretty heavily for a week or so and read about how much trouble people have growing it, I was reluctant to get my hopes up that it could be so easy.

Whatever it turns out to be I'm going to try and save it, I like it's determination.

Whatever it turns out to be I'm going to try and save it, I like it's determination.

i like it too Its Strange to see it there but let it get a bit bigger and see if you can cut some room around its main stem to allow for growth.

Not esphand or fennel, I've seen it before grows around here in the warmer months & dies back in winter. Young plants can have a decent tap root so may come back from established roots.

Its a spreading viney weed, likes to grow up our back wire fence & brick work, has little purpley blue flowers.

Sorry don't know the name.

Not esphand or fennel, I've seen it before grows around here in the warmer months & dies back in winter. Young plants can have a decent tap root so may come back from established roots.

Its a spreading viney weed, likes to grow up our back wire fence & brick work, has little purpley blue flowers.

thanks dude do you know exactly?

98% sure its the same.

Grows pretty quick in a week or 2 I'd bet it will start to exhibit its viney nature.

young sprouts have odour amazonian , i has as weeds here....

I'm in SA and haven't seen anything like this growing as a weed around my area before, but I'll note the flower colour when spring comes around to check your theory, if it turns out to be a weed that will be disappointing.

Fumitory Fumaria officinalis? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fumaria_officinalis

Not sure if that's what is pictured above, but sounds a bit like what you shruman is talking about.

Edit: eDot has a long thread on this particular plant.

Edited by Yeti101

Fumitory Fumaria officinalis? http://en.wikipedia....ria_officinalis

Not sure if that's what is pictured above, but sounds a bit like what you shruman is talking about.

Edit: eDot has a long thread on this particular plant.

thats what i was thinking it was but didnt know its name , its a prevalent weed here....

Worth a thread of it's own IMHO - I should investigate some of those wild, opioid-like, claims one of these days. If smoking, watch out for the products of partial combustion of fumaric acid (maleic anhydride?).

young sprouts have odour amazonian , i has as weeds here....

So there is two ways of spelling odour/odor. I used the first spelling and spell checker told me that no word existed.The English language has different spelling for many words. It should be uniform ,like Latin names.

Yeah thats the one I was thinking of, I was thinking about it yesterday & remembered the flowers were more pinky.

& when I said weed thats only cause I did'nt have a use for it & it thrives with no attention payed to it although does'nt seem pervasive here, comes back in the same couple of spots but I hav'nt seen it pop anywhere else.

I had a look if anywhere around here yet must be too cold here still.

Thanks Yeti, worthy of investigation.

So there is two ways of spelling odour/odor. I used the first spelling and spell checker told me that no word existed.The English language has different spelling for many words. It should be uniform ,like Latin names.

yeah i think the spell checker is american based , the word aluminium is checked wrong spelled like that and correct when spelled the us way aluminum... grammar nazi lol

I found this the other day growing out of my retaining wall and I thought it looked similar to pictures I've seen of Syrian Rue but I'm not too sure (it's still young and I'm still a noob to this), can anyone either confirm my hopes or crush my dreams into a small pile?

DSCN0804.jpg

DSCN0796.jpg

DSCN0800.jpg

DSCN0803.jpg

Was the retaining wall around a veggie patch? Have you grown carrots there before?

Methinks they're carrot seedlings.

i'd go with yeti on this one, looks like fumitory that i've found in my garden