The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
dr dognutz

Human/Plant relationships

As i've said in previous discussions i am quite new to this community and my exploration into the relationships with humans and plants is in a very early stage.

Anyway, ive been looking into the differant properties of many plants and there traditional uses and have found that alot of the plants were used regularlly for traditional ceremonies, or as appetite suppressents and a load of other things. I wont list the plants because its not really the point of the post.

I cant help but wonder that if humans have used these plants for the last few thousand years up until recent times(i know some cultures still use traditional medicine) could there be a link between this use and the "apparent need" for anti-depressant and anti anxiety medications now.

I mean the human body has been exposed to so many differant natural chemicals in its evolution and now what the bulk of society puts into their bodies is mostly proccessed, or grossly under what would be considered nutritious.

what do you guys think? am i crazy? :wacko:

nope not crazy, spot on, imo. I wouldn't put so much emphasis onto ceremonial plants, I persionaly imagine the "apparent need" for anti-depressants is in the food we put into our mouth, A major part of ethnobotany (the relationship between plants and people) is food simply food that gives you nutrients without any form of tampering is extreamly hard to come by, a factor that is normally forgotten in ethno circles due to the focus being on....lets call it...shamanism :P, all the shit 90% of people eat now days comes from cans or is 10 weeks old pumped with preservatives,

nice, thanks for that bro... i can definantly see a "link" there. I'm going to look into it a bit more and see what i can dig up.

I'm into the shamanism side of things aswell but i'm just as interested in the plants humans have used to sustain there physical health, not just the ones we use to tweak us mentally/spiritually (not that theres anything wrong with them :drool2: )

thanks again mate, anyone elses input would be appreciated :wink:

Hey mate, look up a book called the cosmic serpent, a pdf should be somewhere online, Jeremy narby an anthropologist explores the link between humans and plants(mainly aya) I'm not sure how the community here feels about the book but I enjoyed it, it was.recommended.to me in an email from Rick Strassman as I was interested In a link between dmt and dna and any possibility of hereditary memories or knowledge passed on VIA dna,

i like to say we have been consuming plants since before we even were human beings, and our bodies have developed mao etc to deal with some of these.

but our bodies dont know how to deal with some of these modern synthetic pharms....

t s t .

As i've said in previous discussions i am quite new to this community and my exploration into the relationships with humans and plants is in a very early stage.

Anyway, ive been looking into the differant properties of many plants and there traditional uses and have found that alot of the plants were used regularlly for traditional ceremonies, or as appetite suppressents and a load of other things. I wont list the plants because its not really the point of the post.

I cant help but wonder that if humans have used these plants for the last few thousand years up until recent times(i know some cultures still use traditional medicine) could there be a link between this use and the "apparent need" for anti-depressant and anti anxiety medications now.

I mean the human body has been exposed to so many differant natural chemicals in its evolution and now what the bulk of society puts into their bodies is mostly proccessed, or grossly under what would be considered nutritious.

what do you guys think? am i crazy? :wacko:

When you mentioned the crap that we pass off as food in the last sentence I couldn't help thinking of something I read in a book by a Chinese doctor Yoland Lim.

His father was a doctor too and he says in his book that his father did experiments with monkeys where they were given a wide range of food to choose from and they always seem to go for seasonal foods in preference to anything else.

The monkeys that eat seasonal fresh foods don't get fat and hardly ever get sick

The monkeys seem to have an innate sense if what's good for them, it could be instinct or a relationship with the plants - who knows ?

These days we ship food food all around the globe and almost anything can be found in any season.I believe this contributes to obesity and a lot of the illness that is so common these days, maybe it does contribute to depression as well.

The Chinese believe every season has it's own energy or Chi and eating food with chi from a different season can cause imbalances in the body, mind and spirit.

I was having a conversation about similar to this The other day And the topic of the body being Having more cannabinoid receptors than any other in the body.Imo These Receptors wouldnt Be Present in the Body Unless there was A reason For Them.. Its like alot of natural Remedies That Have less Adverse Effects As Compared To as Tst Said modern synthetic pharms. Our Bodys Arent Lab Rats That We Can Pump Full Of chemicals With Out A bad Side Effect As Seen With Most Anti Depression Medication..What Is Fixxed in one Place Will Become Unbalanced In many Others and Addressing a Problem Like Depression and Psychosis, we have created A "Fix" For these Problems But Not A Soultion..i was treated With Adhd Medication For A term Of 5 Years...Dextromethamphetamine and Methylphenidate Changing Between Them As they Could Not Find Any Proof That These Chemicals Where Helping me.. I became Majorly Depressed In The Term Of this Treatment And have found out That These 2 Medications I was Treated With have Caused More Damage Then Good.

If i Knew In which Plants A modern Shaman Would Recommend i Would Have 100% Trust in them as i Know That Plants Have Been Used For Ages and Have Been Proven To Have Better Effects Than These Medications With out The Lengthy Withdrawals And Truly Negative Effects..