The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
jasemateau

cases of psycosis from the 60's

we are all aware about the 60's and 70's consumption of psycodelics, does anybody know if there was a increase of people being admitted to the yellow house from this period, there is so many opinions about whats does and doesnt harm us, this could be an indicater of how true the alagations are about psyhcodelics sending users insane, just curious is all

jasemateau:

this could be an indicater of how true the alagations are about psyhcodelics sending users insane, just curious is all

Accuracy in these statistics is supremely unlikely due to the factors surrounding their collection.

Under-, over- reporting, or incorrect diagnosis ( yes doctor she took those evil drugs and we'll disregard the fact that at the time of admission she was severely stressed, undernourished, suffering from a pre-existing undiagnosed psychiatric condition, taking prescribed tranquillisers and completely drunk and wasn't in posession as to exactly which compound she ingested other than its alleged street name- cos we know it was the drug's fault, cos drugs are Bad. M'kay? )

Most medical personnel will happily blame drugs- especially illegal drugs- before looking at other factors surrounding a situation.

Negative drug use, and negative environments during high-end experiences can have a debilitating effect on the psyche for certain. But so does a whole pile of other stuff in life, and blaming drugs is often just an excuse for bad science and poor statistics

So I spose we'll never know :rolleyes:

I agree.

I think there are *far* more dangerous things in our society i.e tabacco and alcohol

That being said, all drugs are dangerous and should be used carfully, safely and with the utmost respect...

LSD-25 was actually legal and used in treatment fairly widely up to 1966 , as it was probably produced by what are now multi-national companies i doubt weather they would be keen to put forward anything that would inspire litgation now. Can psycadelics screw your mind ? I'm not sure but I have seen more crazies as a product of meth and pot than LSD and peyote. Maybe this is an issue of supply and availability ?

I believe it's inherent within those drugs (ab)usage.

With entheogens a individual cannot escape from turning

towards self examination. abuse is curbed by that and tolerance.

Where as, with meth, coke, EToH (and pot?) individuals

can fall into a cycle of escapism with other reinforcements.

Psychosis being the result...

jmo.

[ 11. February 2005, 05:21: Message edited by: Flip ]

Guest electro

in a mixed bipolar state i was admitted to a mental hospital once ... in there i met a guy who took a trip in the 60's and never came down ., he was clearly schizophrenic but it was scary that a trip had been the catalyst to set off a 30 year psychotic episonde ...

he introduced himself to me as jeesus and told me that i had to come home with him to meet his wife mary coz she apparantly was a good sort.

poor bugger is prolly still there :/

even if you look at drugs like heroin and crack, a large proportion of addicts have pre-existing mental illness. It is no suprise that mental illness makes you more likely to get into excessive drug use and this would also include psychedelics. IMO this would play a large role in the fact that a disproportionate number of psychotics have had substance "abuse" issues, rather than the opposite direction of causal link as many people appear to assume.

Guest electro

rkundalini

exactly ....

being so simple its amazing how many people just completley MISS the point .. :/

alot of the psychotic influences come from the impurities in products like meth , from memory (a little help please ) it's the d(?)-isomer of meth that causes the 'voices' and jump at shadows reactions. With pure products this is not such a problem (IMO), possibly with drugs made in backyard labs were purity is unreliable more psychosis would result ? So IMO psychosis could be a result of the product no matter what the state of your mental health ? :confused:

I certainly agree that many people that "have problems"

had a pre-existing condition that contributed to their

poor choices and (ab)use of a street drugs.

in other words many used a drug as a tool to hurt themselves.

(in a freudian death instinct/self loathing sense)

it's these people that make the headlines.

Guest electro

2ben ... i dont think meth or even its impurities that causes any psychosis .. i firmly believe that it is the sleep dep that arises from not sleeping for 7 days that gets running from shit that isnt there

[ 12. February 2005, 15:28: Message edited by: electro ]

It's confronting, yet not suprising, to see that the majority, if not all people in mental health hospitals (at least adolescent wards) are on or have tried a large range of illegal drugs, IME.

I definately don't think it can be put down to drugs being the sole cause for mental health problems, though it's interesting to see that the people with these problems had a strong interest in such things and experiences with substances like lsd at a young age mid-teens and lower. Basically everyone was also a heavy smoker as far as i was aware. That's, imo, what needs to be studied, not the hysteria and prohibition we have.

Like the thought, are we depressed because we drink or do we drink because we are depressed, substitute drink and depressed with whatever you please and of course it'll be different for each person, though taking a stab i feel alot of substance abuse is from being confused/lost, not having any meaning, in regular day to day life/reality. This goes for so called 'normal' folk and people with mental illness.

I certainly like to theoretically smoke cannabis as a sort of escapism at times, and would rather stay sober and frustrated for a long period of time if it's not available than have a more full on entheogenic experience with whatever is theoretically at hand. Anyway i'm going a bit off topic :D

I like all the responses so far though, good bunch of minds here.

its all very interesting, i have often wondered what might become of the experiences i have had in the future, with out REAL research out there i guess í'll just have to sit it out and find out for myself. but excellent points made about the strenght of each persons capabilities under the influence of pshycodelics.

i used the tell dudes i was bossten with when they had the fear come barging in. (for the first timers)

i would look em in the eye and say. tell it, that we as humans created you!!! (the lsd) so dont tell me what i dont want to hear, i'm using you for my F'n pleasure so get back to work!!!! :D :D :D :D

it helped a few people out, it was all about getting the grip to loose touch with the world!!!