The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
holymountain

Acacia ID pretty please

found this one growing on my property. digital camera is not working so i had to make a scan. hopefully it's helpful enough for an ID. got a feeling it's obtusifolia because of the blunted tips but i've never had anyone to confirm my speculations about whats what.

any help, as always, much appreciated.

sc038b44f9.jpg

I know them like the back of my own hand when I see them live but I find it really hard to tell from photos. The leaves are very dark in an obtusi and usually gather more at the ends of the branches... um... they often have a red tinge to the newer growth... they have a bit of a gangly sort of growth habit...

I seem to have deleted my pics of this computer so can't post any so you could compare - there are pics I've taken in other threads.. though you may have already looked at them?

Once you know an obtusi you will start seeing em everywhere if they are around near where you live. You get the obtusi eye :)

yeah the actual cutting is about three or four weeks old and i remember the leave colourings were much darker. some of the tips did have red colouring, another reason i suspected it was obtusie. if it is one then i have been seeing and suspecting them everywhere lately...just need that confirmation ha.

I reckon the thickness and 'leatheryness' of the leaves is a really good descriptor. That is a great post the deb one :)

I gather you're in E Australia? Obtusi there m'boy. And good improvisation with the scanner.