The Corroboree
nabraxas

Stop Drinking Bottled Water Now!

I brought stainless steel water bottles instead of using plastic. Where the thread has been welded to the bottle, it has a white powdery substance that sits on there when its dry. ( like erosion corrosion marks) . i don't like the smell of stainless steel and i think the water tastes crap out of it.
The smell and taste likely comes from whatever the weld is, because the weld clearly isnt stainless. It could also come from some manufacturing residue so wash it really well. I can identify most metals I've worked with blindfolded and with my hands tied by their smell and taste, stainless is one of the metals I work with most but I cant tell the different grades apart because it has so desperately little smell or taste, even right after being cut and cleaned (I dont lick cutting oil :P ). You got somethin' funky mixed in there, unlikely but maybe a galvanized steel weld (galvanized steel tastes nasty and smells a bit, dont snort anything that touched galvanized steel {and never breathe the fucking fumes from cutting it!!!}) or perhaps an aluminum weld :scratchhead: Avoid frequent drastic heat changes if its aluminum, the weld could eventually crack. Edited by Auxin

http://www.promolife.com/water-purifiers/steam-distillation/waterwise-1600-non-electric-distiller/prod_1918.html

We had one of these for a while , but it fell apart ,too many welds. It was a good idea and worked very well, and the crap that was left behind from distilling tap water... maan... I had plans of going remote places and a non electric water distiller would have supplied me with fresh water from even salt. I think it fell apart because we accidentally boiled it dry and the welds couldn't take the heat.

The smell and taste likely comes from whatever the weld is, because the weld clearly isnt stainless. It could also come from some manufacturing residue so wash it really well.

I did wash the bottles really well, and then again and again. Here is a pic of the corrosive looking substance that keeps appearing when the bottles are left to dry. The thread is, like painted gold?!(not brass or copper,i don't think anyway). I have 3 Stainless Steel drink bottles from 2 different sources and all have the same thing. It has put me off using them.

post-7430-128704567276_thumb.jpg

ss drink bottle.jpg

ss drink bottle.jpg

I did wash the bottles really well, and then again and again. Here is a pic of the corrosive looking substance that keeps appearing when the bottles are left to dry. The thread is, like painted gold?!(not brass or copper,i don't think anyway). I have 3 Stainless Steel drink bottles from 2 different sources and all have the same thing. It has put me off using them.

post-7430-128704567276_thumb.jpg

It's been Brazed,are you using it just for water?

A flux is used to join stainless to brass...looks consistent with a reaction maybe as little as the ph of your saliva,but I reckon maybe you've put coke or something in there at some stage?

I reckon maybe you've put coke or something in there at some stage?

Negatory. Just chemical free water. Strange huh.