The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Thelema

funny critters on my plants

hi, i hope someone can help me with this,

Ive just noticed some very odd pests on my salvia madrensis plants. They sit plush with the main stem, and they are about 8mm long and 3mm wide, and they look like theyre made of wax. I guess the best way to describe the shape would be "similar to a mealy bug".

They seem to be exuding a strange honey-like substance. Any ideas anyone? Forgive me if I sound dumb, ive never seen or heard of anything like these.

sounds like scale to me, do they blend in with the stem? check around nodes and on the underside of some leaves... i take these guys out by using a paperclip and rubbing it over them til they come unstuck

hey thelema.. does the critter look like this?

i am interested to identify this one too.

pest~0.JPG

any ideas anyone?

Guest electro

i have brown ones and greenish white ones of those on some of my plants - they look slightly different to that pictured above, but very similar..

the ants seem to farm them for the sugary substance they exude (im guessing its the sugar from the plants sap) ... if they squish easily with a fingernail or scratch off the plant easily then yea it is the same ones and is most probably scale

[ 22. January 2005, 16:19: Message edited by: electro ]

kill or exclude the ants or control of scale is futile

Guest electro

yea, i have to figure out a way of doing that without killing the cats from too much poison :)

as it stands i just pick the scale off weekly - the plant doesnt seem to mind too much

ways to kill or control ants and their scale 'cows'

1) barriers

by sitting the pot in a dish of water the ants cannot get to the plant

when it was legal this worked well for the very scale prone kratom

On a larger scale growers put the legs of their benches in water tubs just the same to stop ants bringing scale or mealie up the legs

2)Topical poisons

Pyrethrins work. Im trialling nicotine from boiled down tobacco at the moment

3)systemic poisons

either for the plant - like rogor applied with fertliser to increase uptake (only for specimen plants not ones you intend to eat)

or for the ant nest like ant rid or Borax and sugar mix to kill the nest

3)destruction of habitat.

dunking the pots drown nests within the pot itself long befeore it kills the plant then use (1)

4)Non toxic disruptors

Like soapy water, diatomaceous earth or white oil that suffocate or dehydrate the insect

soapy water is pretty good firts step for scale and wash off any sotty mildew too. Then when in decline and ants taken care of finish them off with hand removal and a final pyrethrin spray

Scale arent to be underestimatd in reducing vigour of plants especially in marginal climates/seasons

and if you sell plants its bad form to pass on this luggage to others

1 tsp neem oil, 1/4 tsp good liquid soap, 1 qt water.

Put oil in water, add soap, shake until well mixed.

Spray on (drench) plants with a mister. Can also be poured onto potted plant soil to kill bugs in the soil.

This can be used on edible plants, just stop at least 2 weeks before harvest or the plants may have a slight neem oil taste.