The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
naja naja

Mirrors to reflect light onto dark areas og garden?

So the fence is really high here and the arc of the sun during winter leaves 3/4 of the grass without sun and zero sun to the garden beds. Does any1 know if I rig up mirrors so that they reflect the light onto the dark area's, will this light be usable by the plants? I was thinking a convex mirror similar to security mirror would be best suited. Any thoughts??? I would remove or cover the mirrors in summer as not to burn the plants.

Peace

N

After googling it, I find that it does seem to work. So has any1 here got any first hand experience?

Dont quote me but I think mirrors also absorb alot of light and create hotspots..

What about lining the fence with panda film? might help a little... anymore is better than none i spose...

wrong angle maybe?

from where I'd mount the mirrors it's about 3m to the ground/plants and only used in winter when sun is not that hot.

i tried it a couple of years ago for my cacti, it's effectiveness was negligable is all i can really say as i didn't really test it accurately & didn't see any marked inprovement in growth.. . at the time i was told that some wavelengths vital for photosynthesis are cancelled out & that a bright white mat surface is more suitable for the purpose. though many indoor gardeners use foil & claim it increases light efficiency by some %age..

& accounting for the movement of the sun is always a consideration..

I have tried with Alu Foil before on tomatoes and it worked quite well.

But as Paradox said, white surface is much better.

Must do this myself ATM as I have a bit of stuff that is getting no direct light at all

Dont quote me but I think mirrors also absorb alot of light and create hotspots..

I'll second this. Painting the fence white will reflect a good spectrum of light without hot spots. It doesn't give control over the direction of the light, but it is a simple approach, and if the fence is close to the plants it should give good results.

O.K., the thing is there's no fence to p[aint white. The mirrors would be attatched to the eve of the house roof and reflect back from there. Mirrors are my only real option, just want to find out if they reflect sunlight true or wheather they absorb some light spectrums. Also, I figure using a convex mirror will avoid hot spots.

O.K., the thing is there's no fence to p[aint white. The mirrors would be attatched to the eve of the house roof and reflect back from there. Mirrors are my only real option, just want to find out if they reflect sunlight true or wheather they absorb some light spectrums. Also, I figure using a convex mirror will avoid hot spots.

I have been mucking about with mirrors for a year or two in my shady garden.

I've used reflective gold inserts from smoked salmon, mirrors from the house wrecker, mirror stickers, stainless steel mirror $8 from Bunnings, mirrors from garage sales. I think all i have managed to do it collect more junk and confuse a few plants.

I really need a mirror that is heliotropic.

Edited by michaelangelica

Mylar may be a better option than glass mirrors, is also supposed to have 98% reflectivity

safer & much less hassle to fit under the eve's than heavy glass mirrors

Edited by mac