The Corroboree
Rabelais

Calamus Sweet Flag Preparation

Hi everyone,

I pulled up a heap of sweet flag today, growing ~18 months.

So I've spent the last few hours pulling the roots apart and cleaning...errr, so what now? :blush: My searches are coming up a bit blank.

Just dry in a cool, dark, low humidity area?

post-6175-127519429602_thumb.jpg

Note: When I was pulling the roots apart, I noticed the thicker roots would secrete a pink/purple sappy substance, is this what I am looking for, or are most of the roots active?

Very pleasant smelling by the way.

Edited by Dale Cooper

I have some calamus at home and on the container that it is in says "calamus root oil". I would say that the stuff you are after is in the roots. I would probably be happy to sell it to you as it is just sitting around here doing nothing.

Hi everyone,

I pulled up a heap of sweet flag today, growing ~18 months.

So I've spent the last few hours pulling the roots apart and cleaning...errr, so what now? :blush: My searches are coming up a bit blank.

Just dry in a cool, dark, low humidity area?

Note: When I was pulling the roots apart, I noticed the thicker roots would secrete a pink/purple sappy substance, is this what I am looking for, or are most of the roots active?

Very pleasant smelling by the way.

From British Herbal Pharmacopoeia (1983)-

".... consists of dried rhizome of A. calamus.

The rhizome is collected in Autumn, trimmed and sometimes scraped or peeled.

PREPARATIONS & DOSAGE: (thrice daily)-

Dried rhizome. Dose 1-3gms or by infusion. Liquid extract 1:1 in 60 % alcohol. Dose 1-3mls. Tincture 1:5 in 60% alcohol. Dose 2-4mls.

I remember some posts from back at the old edot where it was described that they fine roots off of the main rhizome where significantly more potent than the rhizome itself. When we were kids, we'd chew on the dried rhizome.

I assume you've seen these links:

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=8800

http://www.herbcraft.org/calamus.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acorus_calamus

I like this plant because it is quite easy to grow in a cold climate like mine. However I tend not to consume much of it, as it grows so well in buckets of water logged cow manure.... Letting the buckets run dry a couple of times a year, or adding a goldfish or minnow per bucket, dramatically reduces the mosquito population that otherwise results.

Not to be a worry wort, but calamus has a toxic look a like or two, among the irises if I recall correctly.

-G-

Thanks for the links and info.

I did have a chew of a small piece when I cam home yesterday...oh my. Very strong and bitter taste, I could immediately feel it clear my lungs and nostrils, basically like a leaf blower through my head. I had to stop chewing after about 2-3 minutes of inhaling and chewing on the root - the burning sensation became too much, but it vanished after a minute or two. Similar to chewing on a hot chilly but the effect is not as long lasting. Felt like it freshened my breath. Very subtle, tranquil feeling.

Definitely going to be a great material to have around winter. The taste certainly wasn't bad since I enjoy bitter foods...but that burning sensation will take some getting used to.

Not to be a worry wort, but calamus has a toxic look a like or two, among the irises if I recall correctly.

Yeah, that is disconcerting. I purchased it from SAB and I'm 99% sure I purchased the 'safe' one...hopefully I will be ok. :huh:

some are much more active fresh compared to dry.

t s t .

There migth be calamus look alikes, but they certainly don't taste alike. Not much risk of confusion with this herb if you're familar with it.

Now that that's said, WTF??!!?? Glider?? Back from the .... back from where exactly? A most esteemed peer of the community and then one day your emails bounce and all your accounts go dead. You can't just drop off the radar for years and then not get the third degree ;). Welcome back my friend!!