The Corroboree
kadakuda

Betel nut lime for yopo?

in canada simply used baking powder, or soda i forget...

but i am wondering here if the lime used with betel nuts can be used for snuffs? i only ask because the lime can really burn the fuck out of your mouth if you use too much, which makes me cautious with the nose....i know te preps we made in canada were bad on teh nose, but one could eat it without burning so i figure its safer.

obviously the lime would need to be dried and powdered, what do you guys think?

Calcium hydroxide - lime paste (red) for betel nuts

[30g Jar] AU$3.50 pixel_trans.gif

Traditional Thai betel lime. Available in two colours. Ready to use.

Calcium hydroxide 80%, water 20%.

I asked a similar question a few months back and found yes you can , SAB store has some paste , but mix with some water anyway and then evaporate off. A good mixing will lessen the burning ....

good a place as any to ask, this is probably common knowledge

i don't want to make another sab order for a while, but i need some betel nut lime.

what kind of lime can you use? are we talking agricultural lime, builders lime?

• Like 1

Snuff preparation

To make the psychedelic snuff called yopo, the black beans from the bean pods of these trees are first toasted until the beans pop like popcorn breaking the bean's husk. The roasting process facilitates removal of the husk and makes the beans easier to grind into a powder. The bean's husk is usually removed because it is difficult to powderise and adds unnecessary volume. The bean is then ground with a mortar and pestle into a powder and mixed with a natural form of calcium hydroxide (lime) or calcium oxide (from certain types of ashes, calcined shells, etc.). This mix is then moistened to a consistency similar to bread dough, using a small amount of water. If calcium oxide is used, the water will react with it to form calcium hydroxide. Once moistened, it is kneaded into a ball for several minutes. After kneading, it is then left to sit for several hours to several days, depending on the local customs. During this period most of the excess calcium hydroxide reacts with the carbon dioxide in the air to form less caustic calcium carbonate (carbonatation).

Edited by rahli

what kind of lime can you use? are we talking agricultural lime, builders lime?

I get lime paste from my local Indonesian supermarket, although it is actually a Thai product. Comes in a little plastic bag shoved in a tub and costs about $1.50. Try your local Asian store.

Edited by Rabaelthazar

interesting. tha tis how i have made the powders before, though i never waited very long.

During this period most of the excess calcium hydroxide reacts with the carbon dioxide in the air to form less caustic calcium carbonate (carbonatation).

that is GREAT to know...would i then be better to break it up into smaller pieces (more surface area) and allow exposure to the open air? maybe just dry it on a table for however long it takes, then heat it again to make a powder?

guess will give the betel lime a shot :)